1|Kiara

"Mummy, look! So much water!" Bae jumps from her seat and glues her face to the window.
"It's called the see, Bailey. Don't be stupid!" Jack comments from his seat over the row without looking up from his phone.
"I don't remember asking you, Jackass." Bae doesn't turn around either when she shoots back.
"This kid," Jack finds my eyes.
"Can you believe her? She's 5 and talking like some criminal to her own father!" he frowns at me.
"First of all, she's 6, asshole, which makes my second point easier..." Colby looks at his brother.
"You are not her father, you lost that right and she's better off without you." he adds.
"Let me make it clearer for you, Jack. We are working this case because Amelia didn't find anyone else yet to replace you as my partner but that's it. Outside of work, you don't talk to me and you don't certainly talk to my daughter. Also, if you even look at my friends you are going to pay for it." I state and look out of the airplane window too.
"Watch it, Carrera. Don't threaten me." Jack says.
"That's your department right?" I shake my head.
"I think we are here! I see land!" Bae looks around at me and smiles.
"Yeah, welcome to Outer Banks, baby." I kiss her head.

***

When we land, we grab our stuff and load our cars. All four of us are staying in a motel room in 3 rooms, but we got each an FBI car so we couldn't be dependent on each other.

"Okey, I take Bae now and we go find some playground to kill time before we go grab dinner in town?" Colby asks me while ignoring his brother.
"Sure, I'll call you when we get all the info about the case so we could meet up." I squat down to look into Bae's eyes.
"Be good with uncle Colby, okey? I have to work for a hour or so but then I'm all yours." I smile.
"Okey! Can we go buy surfs so you could teach me later?" she jumps on spot.
"If you behave." I nod.
"C'mon, we don't have all day!" Jack shouts before he gets into his car.
"Ignore him." I shake my head at Bae.
"Be safe, mummy. Shoot him if you have to." she winks at me.
"You bet." I kiss her forehead and get into my own car.

We head to the police station right away. I'm surprised to see Plumb in Sheriff's office.

"Oh my, Kiara Carrera." she walks out.
"You still alive?" she chuckles.
"Are you done? We have work to do." Jack says.
"And you are?" she crosses her arms.
"FBI agent Ryder." he shows her his badge. I show her mine too.
"Oh." she states surprised by this.
"So, we have couple of questions and you are going to answer them. Are we clear?" I smile.
"Come in." she lets us into her new office I guess.

Suspect n.1 - Plumb - killed Shoup so she would be new Sheriff

"Who found the body?" Jack asks right away.
"LJ M..." I interrupt her.
"You have to be kidding me." I sigh.
"With..." she starts again.
"Kevin." I add instead.
"Yeah." she gives me a look.
"You know them?" Jack looks at me too.
"My brother and his best friend." I explain.
"Yeah, well, they went surfing and found Shoup lying on the beach dead. He was shot and the coroner set the time of death between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. May 29th. The same day he was found. The last person to see him alive was Tim O'Conel when he left the station at 8 p.m. the previous night but Shoup left one hour later, so we checked the cameras outside. Coroner also found water in his lungs so he was still alive when someone threw him into the ocean. We are still looking for the place where he was murdered because any evidence on Shoup was washed by the water." Plumb says without us asking.
"Any suspects?" I ask.
"No, everyone loved him." she shakes her head.
"Apparently not." I state the obvious.
"Any problem in the office or outside you noticed?" Jack asks. Plumb just shakes her head.
"Okey, I want to see every case file he had on his desk when he was killed. Could lead us to our killer." Jack exchanges a look with me, I just nod.
"Yeah, here." Plumb rounds the desk and takes out a whole pile of cases.
"I take half you take the other." Jack says and grabs his half.
"We'll be in touch." I state and walk outside with my half and put it in the trunk.

I head to the motel and take out our bags with work. I set it up on the table and starts to read every word in all 10 cases but no one stands out, no one so guilty of something he/she would choose murder as a last resort to save themselves.

I sigh 2 hours later and take out my phone.

TO: Colbs
Where are you? I guess I'm done for today.

He replies in seconds.

FROM: Colbs
Playground Wilsher.

I get up to head there when another text comes through.

FROM: Colbs
You'll never guess who we just run into...

TO: Colbs
If it's LJ, make him wait cuz I need to talk to him. Apparently he and Kev found the body:/

FROM: Colbs
Fr?!!??!! I get the nickname you have for him nowXD

FROM: Colbs
And kind of, LJ and Kev showed up but that's not who I meant...

TO: Colbs
Spill it already, I am in the car and can't drive while texting.

FROM: Colby
Pogues are here...

"Fuck." I sigh. I knew this was bound to happen sooner or later since they moved back here about a month ago but I hoped I had still more time to prepare myself and what I'm going to say.

6 years is a long time to not talk to your family but it was necessary. I had to cut them off to protect them from Jack. I had no choice. But what do I do now? I am too deep and too far away for me to go back to them.

"Fuck." I repeat again, but start the car. I can't just sit here. Whatever happens is bound to happen anyway too.