Alex's POV

Alex heard the yelling and gave Jackson a worried look. She turned to go into the house and saw a strange man through the window. A sliver of fear slid up her spine. She opened the door with a feeling of dread. She knew that face and it was not for friendly reasons. As she entered the house she heard the Chief yell. Fear for her mother filled her as she ran around the corner.

The bullet hit the wall right beside her face. She ducked and scrambled over to the couch where the chief and her mother hovered over a girl who looked to be dead. “What’s wrong with her?”

Clair turned sad eyes to her beautiful daughter. “She’s dead...probably poisoned.”

Alex’s mind was whirring through all that was happening. She took in the black lips and the deathly white face of the poor girl. The strange man's face popped into view in her mind's eye. She knew him but not like a friend or a neighbour. Her horror intensified as her suspicions grew. She was sure that the man she had just seen was the killer.

Jackson came to her as she shivered. She turned in his arms. “It’s him,” she said quietly. “The man who tried to kill me.” As the words left her mouth the chief yelled “Get down!” A bullet whizzed past Alex grazing her arm. Jackson pulled her down with him. The Chief took off firing two shots as he went. Alex heard a car start and peel off down her lane. Within minutes Aaron burst through the door.

Alex ran to him relieved to see he was alive. Aaron grabbed her bleeding arm. “Your hit!” He scowled at Jackson. Alex punched his arm. “Hey! Jackson didn’t shoot me, Aaron. Lay off!”

Aaron's sheepish grin made her smile despite what was happening until Jackson asked “Where’s the Chief?”♥