The Phone

It was the next day that the first break came. The phone rang.
I had made it downstairs as far as the living room (fireside), my breakfast of coffee and toast beside me on a tray along with his two very beautiful dogs. Max always at my feet and Ben usually trying to sit on my lap.

I had strict orders to remain undercover and was under no circumstances to budge. The three of us were very content to obey those orders! My vision had improved since the initial onset. Though not ‘back’ I could see definite shapes now. Everything was still gray though and continued to fade in and out. In fact, it was in some ways worse despite the improved focus. I would be looking at something and it would disappear completely! Then later it would reappear but not be there at all! Jackson was very disturbed by this so I was not permitted to do anything unless He was with me (which made sense but was rather stifling). 

We were playing a boisterous game of backgammon, which I was cheating at under the guise of my poor vision. When it rang we both jumped and just stared at it as if neither one of us knew what to do with it. On the fifth ring Jackson came to his senses, sprang up and answered it.
“Hello!” His voice sounded rushed and gruff. I watched fascinated as he alternated between nodding his head and grunting. He must be talking to another man I surmised, for a woman would surely have forced him to at least answer her in an intelligent manner.♥️