The Detectives Den

Jackson was actually sweating at the thought of approaching Aaron. They were still not over fond of each other. Jackson wasn’t sure what it was but Detective Coleden had a decided attitude with him and Jackson found it irritating. Sure they tried hard for Alex’s sake, they both loved her too much to have her upset, but for some reason Aaron refused to relax around him, almost as if he resented Jackson presence somehow. No. Not his presence so much as his position. Hell that wasn’t it either. Jackson couldn’t tell what was eating the good detective but he knew it was something about him. And yet for all that Jackson could tell that it had less to do with him and more to do with Aaron, like he was trying to wrestle some demon to the ground or something.

He felt stupid doing this, but he knew he had to. Alex would never be his if he didn’t find a way past Aaron first. He wasn’t sure how he knew that but he did. He parked his Jeep, fed the meter and headed into the station. He had done his research, the Detective would be going off duty in about 15 minutes and Jackson hoped he was catching him. He had no idea how things worked in a Police Station but he was pretty sure that Homicide Detectives had very little clock punching to do.  He walked strait over to the information desk and asked to see Detective Aaron Coleden.

The Secretary gave him a very friendly smile and without taking her eyes off his once punched in the detective’s number.

“Excuse me Sir but there is someone here to see you”. 

At his inquiry Jackson told the lady his name. “Send him down would you Annie?”

She smiled and gave him directions to Homicide. Jackson thanked her kindly and waited for the buzzer to sound.
He pulled the door open and headed up the stairs. The elevator would have been quicker but Jackson felt like he needed time to decide what to say, again. He had already scrapped the first three speeches. As Jackson neared the glass doors Aaron lifted his head from the report he was reading. Jackson still deep in thought took no notice of him as Aaron put the papers in a desk drawer and cleared the irritation from his features. 

His thoughts swirled. He was still largely undecided about what to say as he pushed through Homicides double doors. Aaron was already making his way from the consulting rooms at the back of the small office. Jackson hadn’t known what to expect but with all the crime in this city he had thought that this room in particular would have been bigger. Aaron thrust out his hand as they met. His friendly, ”Jackson” threw him a little. 

“Aaron”, He returned. “Or should I call you Detective Coleden here”? 

Aaron made direct eye contact and said “Aaron’s fine Jackson. What can I do for you”?

Jackson looked around the small room and paused. His hesitation must have shown on his face because the Detective laughed. “It’s a surprisingly small room for such a large crime isn’t it? If it’s urgent we can use an empty consulting room Jackson” His face darkened with concern. “Nothing’s wrong with Lex is there”?

Jackson cleared his throat. “No, no nothing like that. You are off duty in a few minutes correct”. At Aaron’s nod he continued. “If you’ve no immediate plans can I take you out for a beer? I would like to talk to you.” 

Jackson watched as Aaron’s guarded friendliness cooled and turned to outright defensiveness.  His green eyes glittered and he fairly ground his teeth. “If you’ve five minutes to cool your heels I’ll join you”. Without waiting for an answer he plunged on. “Your Jeep is here? Good.  Leave it parked, we’ll take my car. Wait here.” He stalked off before Jackson could say a word! ♦️