Shoot Out

Aaron’s full gusty voice vibrated around the room. The bathroom had great acoustics and with the invention of shower radios, one had all the backup needed for a sudsy concert. Nothin like singin while cleanin to make a body feel refreshed. The sound of a gunshot followed by shattering glass was Aaron’s first indication of trouble. A blast of icy air hit him as he fumbled out of the shower and crouched down as low as he could. He killed the lights as the second bullet whizzed by his ear. Avoiding the pebbled glass from the window as best he could he made his way across the floor. He stopped long enough to grab a towel as he ripped open the bathroom door. Another bullet shot past him and splintered the wood.

His heart was beating so fast that he swore he’d have a bloody stroke. He peeped out around the door to clear the hallway. Nothing. He blew out a shallow breath. He cursed the plastic bag on his cast. Thank God the radio was still on in the shower. It covered the noise at least. He inched his way down the hall trying to figure out what could be going on. He had never felt so vulnerable in his entire life! Naked, unarmed and shivering like a newborn babe. Pathetic! “Get a grip on yourself man” he chided. “You can’t die like this!”
  Just as he made it to the door of the spare room the front door blasted open. His mouth dropped as his chief and his mother dove past him and fell into the hallway in a tangled heap. Another gunshot had Aaron lunging into the guest room. He crawled to the bookshelf. He hoped like heck that his spare gun was still loaded. One never knew with the twin. She had a tendency to pull the bullets and the safety when she was around. Darn dangerous stunt as far as he was concerned. Another shot had him on the ground. His cast cracked off the edge of the desk. The pain exploded in his head. It took him a second to realize that he hadn’t been hit.

His chief had his mother behind him and was pulling the futon into the doorway for cover. “I gotta tell ya Coleden…” He said as he rammed a clip into his gun. “This is more of you than I hope to ever see again.”   Aaron felt his face redden at his mother’s gasp. “Aaron Gabriel Coleden! The least you could do is wrap the towel around you!”  Aaron looked down at his hand in disbelief. He was still clutching the folded towel. “Ah shoot!” ♣️