She's Married

Jackson paced back and forth in the narrow corridor of the hospital. This was bad…real bad. He paused. Alex. He knew her own name would suit her and it did.  Sexy, sassy, and neat just like her. Unfortunately the woman he was in love with was in no state to celebrate. When the shooting story aired it ripped her apart. Now she was heavily sedated and lying in the psychiatric ward of St. Bart’s. Ross, roused from his bed, was on his way and listed as her formal Doctor so that they could be in the forefront of the decision-making. Jackson didn’t want just anyone deciding her treatment. He loved her but that accounted for nothing especially when he had only just learned her name. Hell, she had only just learned her name! Ross was his only hope to have any say at all in Alex’s care. This was a mess.

Jackson looked up as Ross swung open the double doors. He walked quickly to the Nurses station. The buzzer sounded to let him onto the locked ward. As soon as he was through the doors he asked.

“What happened Jackson?” 

Suddenly overwhelmed by worry and confusion Jackson collapsed into a chair.   He ran both hands through his hair. Fear tightened his throat and dried out his mouth. He spoke in a hoarse whisper.

“She’s nearly in a catatonic state Ross.”

“I know that part.” Ross’ voice was clipped with high emotion. 

“What I need to know is why. What happened?” 

Jackson closed his eyes and put his head back against the wall. Tears threatened to overwhelm him so he stood and started pacing again. Anything was better that just sitting there balling like a baby. I mean he was all for that ‘let your feelings out and communicate stuff’ but tears were out.  He took a deep breath and turned to his friend.

“She couldn’t sleep so we sat up for a bit. She was upset about a re-occurring dream that she felt was important somehow but couldn’t decipher. We were talking about her dream and after a bit she started to relax. Then the news came on and aired a story about some shootout at a Detectives house. Next thing I know they have her photo up on the screen and they’re talking about her being feared missing or dead…I was shocked… but…I…”

Jackson quit pacing and sat down again. Jackson put his head in his hands with his elbows on his knees. He pushed his fists into his eye sockets.

“She is married to this guy Ross.” 

His voice was filled with anguish. It was hard to hear, even to his own ears, he was in rough shape.

“To whom?”

Ross’ confusion was evident. Jackson looked over at his friend. It hurt so much that he could hardly get the words out.

“This cop is her husband. Her name is Alex. Alex Coleden, and she is married to the guy!”

Jackson jumped up and kicked the chair.  Ross let his irritation show in his voice.

“Cool it Jackson or your out. I need you calm. I can’t have a hot head on this floor.” 

Jack put ran his hand through his hair and breathed deeply.

“Sorry Buddy…Sorry.” 

“Yes well.” Ross nodded his head in understanding.

“Have you notified her husband yet?”

He stood and waited for Jackson to pull himself together enough to answer. He knew how much Jackson liked this girl and it bothered him that his friend was hurting. Jackson shook his head.

“No I wanted you to take a look at her before the guy waltzes in and cuts us out.”

Ross put his hand on Jacks shoulder.

“Ya well, if you’ve got it all under your hat lad then let’s go in shall we?” ♦️