What Am I Leaning On?

The sun had set rapidly leaving behind a thick inky darkness. 'I really should not have tried to cut through the woods in the dark' I silently chided myself. Panic settled in my heart as I tried to stay focused. A cold bitter wind stung at my face. The heavy, wet snow was falling in large hurried flakes. In other less desperate circumstances, and in front of a roaring fire, it would have been delightful. However it was well below freezing and I was still far from anywhere and lost to boot, so there was no enchantment in it for me. I tried to think of warmer things but to no avail.

I had been walking for what seemed like several hours. In this weather, it might as well have been days. With the amount of danger I had recently found myself in it didn't seem fair that Mother Nature should be out to kill me too. I could see the dim glow of a light shining and it seemed so far away. Looking at it forced a longing to rise up in me. Instead of making me feel hopeful that I might find shelter, I felt sure that I would never make it that far.

The darkness started to close in around me and fear made my heart beat faster. I could feel exhaustion setting in. Every bone in my body ached. My muscles were sore and weak. "Lord don't let me die out here," I prayed in a whisper. I trusted God with my life but it was hard to hold onto my faith after a cold-blooded killer tried to blow me up, my brother was most likely dead and I was wandering lost in a terrible storm. Lost, cold, and hurt.

I struggled to take a step and then to take another. My body felt so heavy and my brain felt fuzzy. I could hear a faint rustling noise behind me. I sighed. The same sound had made me start and whirl to see the danger there so many times that now I was sure it was just my imagination. I should have known better. Complacency and all that.

Suddenly, a loud crack filled my ears. I felt a sharp pain spread through my head and down my neck and shoulders. The ground leapt up and shook me violently. I gave over to a wave of dizziness as I closed my eyes. I lost consciousness thinking that it was strange to be leaning up against the ground and that if the ground was standing up what were my feet leaning on? ♥