The Investigation

The Investigation had not gone the way it should have. Detective Aaron Coleden was not impressed. And if the look on the Chief’s face was anything to go by, neither was he. A cursory perusal of Coleden’s chart said that he had procured 62 stitches, one broken leg, three cracked ribs, a lip the size of a hockey puck (he already knew about that), a nice catchall of burns, bruises and abrasions and one windowpane (well it was only two inches thick but it felt like the entire sill) nicely embedded in his chest. Far enough from his heart to be of no lasting danger but just near enough to his collarbone to damn near kill him. This had not been a good day.

The killer was now loose on a get-out-of-jail-free card, with 2 million dollars in fraudulent insurance money and the proud new owner of a classic Morney. Not to mention the fact that his twin, an insurance adjuster who was collaborating on the case with him was likely dead. He had bungled this case badly! His boss was going to kill him (if his mother didn’t do it first)!

He usually referred to his sister, Alex Coleden, as his twin because he had never quite come to terms with the fact that he had slept with her for nine months straight! Okay so it had been pre- birth but it still had him surly. He hated sharing a room never mind a womb! His mother hadn’t helped the situation either. Everything was matching this and co-coordinating that. Even their names were designed to mix and match! Was it Erin or Aaron? And was it Alex or Alexia? Of course, his mother really threw a wrench in the works by naming her son Aaron Gabriel and her daughter Alex Morgan! It was a darn good thing for both of their sakes that she had grown up to have … you know! A nice feminine figure because when they were younger people could hardly tell them apart! Now he would gladly go to the Devil to get his sister back!

Coleden offered up another prayer for his sister. “God, you are the creator of all things. You know all things and can do all things. I believe deep in my spirit that Alex is alive. Please be with her and bring her home safely. Amen”
He brought his mind back to the investigation and tried to do a mental inventory of the events leading up to the explosion. But if the truth be told, it was not knowing what had happened to the twin that was eating away at him. The killer had knocked them both unconscious. When he had come to she was gone. Aaron didn’t know if he had taken her with him or if she had still been in the warehouse when it exploded. He had only just gotten on his feet and to the back door when it happened.

The first explosion had him diving at the row of closed windows and the second made sure he went through them! That blast had rocked the place and brought it to the ground. Aaron wasn’t sure how he had survived. He shuddered. If she had been in the blast… Oh bloody hell! He felt so angry and useless. He couldn’t even help look for her. He wanted to get up and go search the debris, scour the terrain for any sign of his twin, and hunt down the killer. But instead, he was stuck in this hospital bed and being told to rest. The case was in good hands! Every day he stayed here the trail got colder! Lord, being blasted out of a building sure put a damper on things. ♣️