Death

This is my original work. All rights reserved. All names, places, people, and circumstances are fictional and not based on any person or event. Any resemblance to any person or event is purely coincidental.

The photo cover is taken from freepik. The link is below. The photo belongs to mrsiraphol.
<a>Image by mrsiraphol</a> on Freepik

Death

The powerful man standing in the center of the elegantly decorated office seemed almost serene. Lean and fit were the first things that struck the casual observer about him. This man was tall and darkly handsome. His slow unhurried movements lent the whole picture a very surreal quality but it was his smile that made the scene jarring. Every expression was allowed to show as they crossed his handsome face. He allowed himself to observe the room. It was spotless except for the dead body sprawled across the floor. The body itself was immaculate and there was surprisingly little blood. Its pose allowed for sleep only because of the peaceful expression. For Real Estate Mogul and Art Collector, John Copeland, Death had come quickly.
The victim was a male of about 45. Stupid man had made it much more difficult than it had needed to be. The whole situation had been such a mess! Oh well. It was all dealt with now and well worth the trouble too. No one knew if Richard had obtained the Morney for sure so how could they know he had it taken from him? No. Richard should have simply played the game by the rules and no one would have died. Well, no one else anyway. The darkly clad figure removed his blood-stained jacket and put it in the bag. He smiled and the feeling of satisfaction at a job well done warmed him.
Of course, he had not counted on having to kill the insurance agent or the woman who was with him. But that wasn't his fault. The agent had been easy. He had simply blown up the warehouse with him in it. It wasn't his building so who cared about the insurance money? Lady luck was on his side too. Otherwise, he never would have seen the woman slip from the building and into the woods just in time to avoid dying in the explosion. She had not escaped the blast though and was injured but not seriously. She had led him on a merry little chase! He had had to follow her for miles through this snowstorm to find her. She was a determined little thing. Brave too.
He laughed as he added his bloody gloves to the bag along with his hat. He smiled as he remembered his first relieved sight of her as he caught up to her in the blizzard. No mean feat either tracking her in this weather. Burned, dazed, and injured she jumped at every little sound. A few times he'd thought that she would catch him following her. She was spooked and every sound made her spin around and search the distance for danger. The longer she trod on the duller she became until he just walked up behind her and killed her. She did not even lift her head as he smashed it in with the blunt end of the axe. She just fell to the ground dead. He had stopped long enough to check her pulse and was satisfied that it was rapidly slowing, the life draining out of her. So faint now it wasn't there. It was when he heard the dogs that he quickly moved on. They did not sound mean but an axe was a poor weapon against more than one dog and why take chances?
He made quick work of the rest of his job. Stripping down to nothing, he pulled on new clothes and set the little room ablaze. He whistled a jaunty tune as he slipped into the street and disappeared in the storm. ♠️