Potions (Mattheo Riddle)

This chapter is in third person.

You sat in potions and listened to Professor Snape drone on about a new potion you were all going to try and brew.

"I'll let you all partner yourselves up, but I'm warning you all, even one foot out of place and I'm switching up partners."

You saw everyone get excited about picking partners but you didn't have any friends in the class so you scanned the room looking for someone to partner up with. Of course there was always Draco or Blaise but they never did any of the work.

Your eyes landed on Mattheo Riddle in the back of the classroom, he seemed to be alone which wasn't strange for him. No one liked him because he was the son of the Dark Lord but as far as you could tell he wasn't especially cruel or mean. So you decided to do something no one else seemed willing to do and give him a chance.

You walked over to his desk, his head was down and it looked like he was drawing on his desk. "Do you have a partner?" You asked him.

He looked up at you, his gaze went from neutral to menacing quickly, "Don't play with me, go find a partner you want." He scoffed.

"Uhm I don't have any friends in this class." You muttered feeling a bit embarrassed.

"Yeah sure and you just happen to want to partner with me. I know how this goes. You end up making me do all the work while you make fun of me to your friends." He rolled his eyes and looked a little hurt, "Just leave me alone."

At this point almost everyone was paired up.

"Mattheo I know you're smart and really good at potions and I want to get a good grade. I want to partner up for that reason and that alone." You said a bit desperately.

Mattheo looked back up at you a bit bewildered but silently nodded and let you sit next to him. Snape gave everyone papers with the assignment on it and told you to get started.

Mattheo fiddled with his fingers as you both read over the instructions, he felt bad for telling you to piss off. He had just never had anyone willingly talk to him before, let alone someone as pretty as you. After a couple of minutes of you both silently chopping up ingredients he worked up the courage to talk to you.

"If you want to make the potion turn blue you have to chop the root diagonally."

"Oh wow I didn't even read that part." You smiled at him.

Mattheo's face turned pink at your smile and he went back to chopping his own ingredients. But as you were mixing the potion Mattheo noticed you were spinning clockwise instead of counter clockwise, tentatively he stepped closer to you and took the spoon from your hand, he went behind you and put your hand back on the spoon. Surprised you didn't flinch at his touch like most people, he helped you stir the potion counter clockwise.

You on the other hand were thankful he was behind you because your face was totally red from his touch.

"Ok I am definitely pairing up with you again, I would have made the potion totally wrong if it weren't for you!" You grinned up at Mattheo.

Mattheo smiled back at you practically bursting with joy.

This is my first time writing something for Mattheo so please tell me if I got the character wrong!!

-Author