Chapter LXIII: Engrave

"The OWLs can't be retaken." The words left McGonagalls lips in distaste as she sat across from Ronnie in her office. Breakfast was going, but that didn't stop Remus from taking her straight to the professor when they woke up in each others arms. Ronnie frowned, slouching into her seat in surrender. "But if you can talk the professors of the lessons you failed into allowing you into their NEWT, then by all means."

"Herbology and Transfi-" Ronnie slowed her speech, meeting McGonagalls eyes. "-guration."

"Well, I believe you only need to talk to Professor Sprout." A smile pulled at the professors lips slowly causing Ronnie to sit up straighter.

"You're letting me join your NEWTs class?" She asked, unsure if she wanted to trust the hope filling her chest.

"You were my best student last year. I'd be daft if I didn't bring you into my care this year." McGonagall decided. "Especially since you clearly had something traumatic happen to you to cause your grades."

"Th-thank you." Ronnie stammered out in relief. McGonagall shook her head.

"Don't thank me. Just show me you deserve it." She straightened her smile out as her eyes left Ronnie. "And keep those boys out of trouble, if you could." Ronnie smiled, shaking her head.

"I wish I could promise that, but I may be apart of their trouble now."

——

It was two days before the start of the new school year. Ronnie spent the day with the Marauders and her Slytherin friends, which now included Regulus Black as a new regular.

But when it came time to dinner time, Ronnie was pulled away from the Great Hall. Remus Lupin had other plans for the two of them. His fingers laced with hers as he had a charming smile on his face as if he wasn't up to something at this very moment. As if he wasn't best mates with the three most troublesome kids in the whole school - besides Barty and Rosier, of course.

"Remi? What are we doing?" Ronnie questioned, even more confused than her new normal. Remus glanced down at her with a smirk stirring his lips.

"Recreating some memories." He responded simply. His expression light and relaxed, especially for being so close to a Full Moon. Ronnie blushed a bit as Remus pulled her to the portrait that they came to last night. "Forget-me-never." He spoke the password before watching the picture move to the side slowly.

Ronnie followed him into the Prefects dorm, not a worry of hesitation in her bones. She had thought they would go to his room, her mind filled with the dirty thoughts of what might have happened the night she gave him a piece of herself. But instead, Remus guided her towards the round tea table that held dinner rolls that looked golden and buttery, two plates piled with pot roast that seemed to fall apart, mashed potatoes and gravy and some green beans. Two goblets of a drink sat with the plates.

"Your dinner, m'lady." Remus waved his hands at the table in a way to display a prize. Ronnie turned away from the food, a teasing smile on her face.

"Remi? Is this a date?" She questioned, her voice displaying a playful twist.

"A date. A tryst. A seduction..." Remus ran his index finger slowly up Ronnie's forearm, light as a feather and leaving goosebumps in his trail. "Depends on how you wish to look at it, I suppose." He shrugged, pulling his hand back from her before turning to pull her chair out. "So what will it be, love?"

Ronnie swallowed hard, her eyes flicking to the food that made her mouth water and stomach grumble before flicking over to Remus who caused a different kind of rumble in her stomach, heat and butterfly's fluttering, before her throat tightened in indecision. That's a lie. Ronnie knew what she wanted at the moment. And the only thing she was sad about was that her decision would bring cold food afterwards.