Chapter XVIII: Letters and Stargazing

Ronnie sat at the Slytherin table that evening for dinner

Ronnie sat at the Slytherin table that evening for dinner. She hadn't had the chance to go see the Marauders, let alone Remus who was still resting in the hospital wing. But at the moment she had other things on her mind. Avery sat next to her, piling food on her plate. Fish and chips with beans.

Ronnie pushed her beans around, zoned out as she was waiting for something. Barty and Rosier shared a look.

"Why are you so quiet, Ronnie-love?" Barty questioned, throwing his arm over her shoulder and pulling her into his side. "It's unnatural."

"Abnormal." Rosier chimed in.

"Strange." Barty continued.

"Peculiar." Rosier added. Ronnie laughed at the two, shaking her head.

"I'm just waiting for the mail to come." She told them with a smile. Barty raised an eyebrow at her.

"Expecting a love letter?" He asked with a smirk growing.

"Maybe she's a spy and waiting for her next mission." Rosier offered in thought.

"An Assassin!" Barty exclaimed thrusting his in the air.

"No." Rosier shook his head. "Imagine sweet Ronnie killing someone." He pointed out. Barty leaned over the table.

"It's always the quiet ones." He told him. Ronnie rolled her eyes, shoving Barty away from her and glancing up just in time to see the owls come swooping in. As soon as a letter drops in front of Ronnie, Barty reaches out to try to grab it but Ronnie smacks his hand away. "Ow! Definitely an Assassin." He said with a nod of his head. Ronnie ignored the boys as she opened the note and saw her father had written her back in a quick scrawl of writing. The paper was slightly burnt looking on some spots.

Ronnie-

Of course you can have friends come over for Christmas. Just not the whole house.

Hugo is well... He's different. Apparently he spits acid. Your mother doesn't want him here anymore, but I can't put him with the other beasts until I know he won't attack them.

The acid is a glimmering silver. Absolutely spectacular! You'll love him. His skin seems to shed like a muggles snake.

Anyway, make sure to write how many of your friends will be coming back with you. Be safe. We love you very much and hope you enjoy the next few months until we see you.

-Dad

Ronnie grinned at the note, folding it up and pocketing it. Her head turning to look at Avery who had been shoveling food into his mouth like he had been starving. It's how he always ate.

"Avery?" Ronnie questioned, ignoring the fact that Barty was leaning over her shoulder to listen to her. Avery turned his head slightly to see what she needed. "I was wondering if you would like to come over for Christmas. Uncle Jacob brings over a homemade Yule log and my Aunt Queenie makes this whole extravagant turkey dinner- usually too much food for just us." Avery blinked a few times in confusion before Ronnie spoke up again quickly. "I wanted to invite you two as well. Thought we could have a friendsmas."