Anguish For The Fallen

======================================================================================

-

Inside a dark room located on the top floor of a building that overlooked the surrounding city like an overbearing watchful eye there sat a young man at a simple table.

Laid out before him was a deconstructed rifle of some sort, far more advanced than anything one could find in the far away and mystical world that he would one day find himself in.

Ignoring his future prospects however, the only thing on his mind at that moment were ways in which he could amplify his current weapons energy output.

It was a delicate process, altering a miniature fusion reactor wasn't as simple as twisting a few screws after all.

One wrong move and -

*BZZTT!*

A sharp crackling followed by a staticky voice rang out as a large terminal resting near the center of the room lit up.

"Your adoration of those devices teeters on fanatical worship you know, it could leave some people utterly repulsed..."

An older man with slick black hair, a thin smile, and ever calculating eyes appeared on the screen.

The young man's face, which was decorated with scars and a set of welding goggles, didn't shift in the slightest at the sudden appearance and interruption.

"Heh 'Some people', you sure you don't mean yourself?" He said, letting out a sarcastic laugh without looking up from the desk, his forehead was moist with sweat and the core was hot in his bare hands as he fiddled with its complicated wiring.

The slightest mistake or break in concentration could cause it to react violently yet the men spoke to each other regardless of the danger as if they were both completely unworried about that outcome.

"In regards to our relationship, my personal beliefs are piffling. You have proven yourself useful thus I tolerate your... quirks... I am merely making an observation that you may want to take into consideration in the event you choose to broaden your circle of allies."

The voice emanating from the terminal spoke with professional suave, behind his words there was a hint of orchestration, something the younger of the pair constantly picked up on from his older....

He wasn't sure what to call the man on the terminal.

Partner? Boss? Acquaintance?

As the younger man contemplated this he snorted and brushed his elders skewed concerns aside.

"An observation huh, 'you' giving 'me' social tips? Maybe you do have a sense of humor. I thought that was lost when you plugged yourself in." He said with a chuckle, muttering the rest of his verbal jab under his breath.

"What was that?" The older man asked sharply raising a shapely eyebrow.

In reality, back in the day he would have been regarded as quite the handsome man, had this not been an age characterized by a world scorched by nuclear fire the young man may have taken his observations to heart.

"Nothing... but what's wrong with me liking weapons? You have your snow globes, v'ron has her dresses, Boone has... legion ears... and I just so happen to prefer collecting military grade firearms. And plus, what normal person wants a shelf filled with pre war ornaments? Cant even use em to bash someone against the head if need be..."

The younger man shrugged his shoulders in defense of his personal hobby, although with his current living predicament and line of work it could be considered a necessity to have such a fervent interest with his arsenal.