Rock and Stone

======================================================================================

Over the course of the next few days Six and the others got antiquated with the group of Dwarves that had saved them from a gruesome demise.

Their leader Bardin had a rough exterior but underneath he was actually a pretty nice individual.

Bardin told them that they worked for a company that explores outer regions of the mountain range and mines out the precious materials that they find on their journeys. Once they reach a certain weight quota of resources they head back to a deposit outpost to drop off what they gathered.

At the outpost their given some time to resupply and take on new Dwarves if necessary then they head back out. Apparently each of them were contracted on for a specific number of excavations, the more you take on the more your paid. This also means that they aren't allowed to go off schedule and if they do that's considered a breach of the contract.

Bardins group was made up of Dwarves that had agreed to particularly long and hazardous contracts.

His group was Excavation Squad 12 and apparently his was one of many.

Typical of his caring nature Oritus spoke up.

"Why take on such a dangerous job?" Oritus asked Bardin after he said this.

They were sitting around a small table created from stone, Bardin was drinking some type of mushroom ale from a large tankard. The taste was very strong even for Six's resistant body so they stuck to drinking water.

"Tha profits lad, harder jobs gift greater returns. Doin a single contract like this can be as rewarding as a whole load of tha regula ones."

"Do you need the money that bad?"

"Most of us 'ave families to provide fer lad, some of me men don't 'ave anywhere else to turn to. But fret not, we are Dwarves, in our work we find great 'onor."

Six nodded in understanding. He was used to interacting with people who took on dangerous work, in the Mojave there weren't many jobs that were all that safe to begin with. To him these Dwarves were cut from a similar cloth as those like the quarry workers or caravan guards.

Getting back to the information side of things Six asked another question that had been bugging him.

"What types of materials are you looking for exactly?"

The way he described this company made it sound like their mining was a lot more expansive than anything he could imagine.

"Ah ya know tha good stuff, Bittergem, Monakite, Crednium, all that sort" He listed off a few of them off the top of his head. His assumption appeared to be correct.

Six looked over to Oritus hoping for some additional explanation but he shrugged his shoulders.

"What about stuff like gold and silver?"

Bardin let out a gruff laugh.

"Listen lad if we wan'ed that we wouldn't be this deep into ou'er territory nor would we 'ave taken on tha contract"

It seems that some of the metals they would call precious were no more than average materials with the Dwarves. With context clues Six could see that this wasn't too far fetched.

Each piece of armor they wore had designs that were made using gold and their weapons were decorated with golden insignias and symbols.

Any adventurer that saw them would be salivating at the prospect of getting their hands on just one of these pieces of Dwarven gear.