Bonus Chapter

Xavier's POV

Seven years later

The sound of my ringtone cuts through the thick tension in the room. The unexpected call had come in the middle of a crucial meeting with the board. Picking up the device from the table, I glance at the number flashing on the screen. It's from the school. A sense of foreboding washes over me, given that they only call for two reasons: an emergency or if Ty is in trouble. And considering that it's the middle of the day, it's unlikely to be the former.

Ignoring the disapproving glances, I step out and steel myself for whatever news awaits as I press the answer button. With formalities out of the way, I listen as the principal outlines the situation. My brows furrow in a mix of anger and concern when he stated that they caught Ty hacking school's computer system. Even though there is no digitial link traced back to him, he stressed on the severity of the situation. Apparently, Tyler's action is a serious violation that goes against the school's code of conduct.

No shit.

Sighing, I run a hand through my hair out of frustration. My mind race a million miles per second as I scour my brain for possible consequences. As much as I want to go over and berate him on the spot, I know that's not going to solve squat so I opt for keeping my cool. Not wanting to engage in a long conversation, I assure the principal we'll deal with it once I'm there before hanging up.

On my way out of the building I grab my car keys from my office before informing my assistant to handle the situation at hand. I have a more pressing matters to deal with than sit around in an awkward setting.

Once I'm settled in my Porsche, I pull out of my company's underground parking lot. My mind runs on Zoey and the twins, two beautiful daughters who have been the center of our lives these past six years. How will she react to this news? I know she will be disappointed for sure and terrified about how this mishap can affect his future. Even though this is a serious matter, as long as I'm around he won't feel the legal ramifications for his dumb action. We are wealthy and influential people, the advantages of wealth and a well-known name can erase many a mistake. But that doesn't mean there won't be consequences, especially not if I have anything to say on the matter. He'll be severely punished to the highest flipping degree.

When I arrive at the school, I find Ty in the principal's office, his face a stoic mask. The principal ushers me in and we take a seat. Ty looks anywhere but at me as we listen to the principal reiterate the seriousness of the offense and the potential consequences.

"Tyler," I call out, my voice firm but not unkind as I turn to face my son. His gaze meets mine, his eyes - so much like mine - reflecting a mix of defiance and fear. For a moment, he's not my 16-year-old son who just hacked his school system, he's the little boy who used to cling to me, his eyes full of wonder and curiosity. I keep my tone steady as I address him. "Explain yourself."

"It was just a dare, Dad." Tyler shrugs, his expression nonchalant. "I lost a bet, and this was the punishment. Besides, it was harmless. No one got hurt."

In stunned silence, I listen as Tyler flippantly dismisses his actions. The audacity of it all. I sit there, my mind reeling as he defends himself. He hacked into the school's system on a dare, and he wasn't sorry for it. Hell, he was almost proud.

Despite my anger, I can't help but pause at his words. There's a cunning intelligence behind his actions, that leaves me torn between being annoyed at his blatant audacity and impressed by his computer skills. Still, his lack of remorse is very concerning.

"A 'harmless dare'? Tyler, hacking into the school's system is not just illegal but unethical!" I finally find my voice, my tone steady despite the maelstrom of emotions brewing within me. "You are smarter than this! You really hacked into your school's system because you lost a damn dare? You know this isn't a game, right? Your actions have consequences, Tyler. Real consequences. I'm not sure if you're aware if this friend but hacking is damn illegal."

Tyler, unfazed by my outburst, simply shrugs again in a nonchalant fashion. "Yeah, a dare. I mean, I could've not gotten caught if I wanted to but where's the fun in that? Getting caught was part of the punishment. Besides, the school's firewall sucks ass. Any kid with half of a brain could've done it. If anything, they should be thanking me for exposing their flawed system."

What the actual fuck?

"Enough!" I command, my tone leaving no room for argument. "Take my keys, go to the car. I'll have someone come for yours later. We're not done discussing this, Tyler."

The boy merely nods in resignation as he takes the keys from me and leaves the office not uttering another word.

A heavy silence descends upon the room at Tyler's departure. My gaze flicks to the principal, a hint of apology in my hardened expression but my voice remains steady and controlled. "I express my apologize for this indiscretion. As for Tyler, I can assure you that this lapse in his judgment will not go unpunished. Now, I trust that you'll let me know the steps required to rectify this little... incident."

The principal gives me a nod of understanding. Dread course through me as the severity of the situation blankets around us. I'm not only worried about the fallout from Tyler's actions but for the conversation that was sure to follow once we get home.

====================================================

There is a spin off on my profile "Codes of the Heart"

Check out my other books "My Cowboy Prince" and "Imperfect Fortune"

Thanks for reading!

Kellisa Kelly