(42) It's Party Time!

Xavier's POV

Underneath the faint indigo Seattle sky, I stand amidst the elaborate decorations and crowd of cheerful guests on my mother's grand estate. My heart pounds against my rib cage in anticipation of their arrival. Today's not just another day. Today, my son Tyler, turns nine. I've turned the world upside down to make it memorable. As memorable as one's ninth birthday can be.

Yet, despite all the meticulous planning and preparation, a throng of anxiety reverberates through me. It honestly feels like I'm about to shit myself. It took every fiber of my being not down a bottle earlier. I know that I need to be every bit of sober for this momentous occasion.

Every few minutes or so, my gaze instinctively darts towards the estate's entrance. Each rustle of leaves, every flash of light sends my heart pounding wildly in my chest. They're on their way - Zoey and Tyler - making the trip from Long Beach on my private jet but I can't help but wish I was there with them.

I've arranged everything to ensure they have a smooth journey, from the jet to the chauffeured car that would bring them directly here. It's the least I can do, given the shitty circumstances. Even so, the distance between us feels like a gaping hole, filled with unsaid words and unaddressed issues. Maybe this could have been resolved earlier if I had been close by.

Thankfully the other half of my stuff is suppose to arrive at my new place in Los Angeles this weekend. It's a step closer to Zoey and Tyler, a deliberate decision to bridge the gap that keep us apart.

Moving the gears of my business from Los Angeles is going to be a challenge, there's no doubt about that. I've built my empire in Seattle, the networks, the connections... it's all here. I can't deny the twinge of apprehension that nags at me. It's one thing to manage operations remotely, but to do so while trying to figure out my place in Tyler's life? That's a whole different beast altogether.

To add to the complexity, my executives are breathing down my neck about taking a step back, especially since I've announced my intentions to move. They've been nudging me towards a sabbatical, citing the need for a more 'stable leadership' in my absence. Their concern is not entirely unfounded if I'm being honest. I've been juggling a lot lately plus I have other small businesses managing in and around America. Stepping away from XCE, even for a little while, feels like letting go of a part of me and I would be letting go a part of my father. I do owe the success of the enterprise to him, we've both poured our blood, sweat and tears in this sister company. I'll be damned if I let those old farts take that away from Tyler.

The real crux of it all is Tyler and Zoey. They're the why behind my choices and as daunting as the prospect is, I can't help but feel like it's worth it. I am ready to face all the challenges ahead. I mean after all, isn't life just about finding a balance even amidst the chaos?

God damn...

To distract myself, I decide to mingle with the guests. Close friends of Tyler that I'd flown in for the party and relatives from both sides they're all here, filling the estate with cheerful chatter and laughter. Despite the jovial atmosphere, I can't fully shake off the nerves, the fear that something might go wrong. According to my intel, Troy's punk ass is now miles away in Alaska and Dasha has been rightfully detained.

As my eyes look around at the faces of people who matter to Tyler, I feel a swell of gratitude. They're here for him, to celebrate his day. The thought brings me a sense of comfort.

A rustle from the entrance grabs my attention, and my heart leaps into my throat. I watch as one of my sleek black car pulls into the driveway, its headlights cutting through the growing dusk. They're finally here.