(43) I Love You

Zoey's POV

I watch as the sun slowly sinks into the far horizon. It's the natural end of yet another day.

Certain things do have to come a natural end don't they?

Heaving a heavy sigh, my fingers toy with the cold handle of the ceramic mug. The remnants of my hot coffee lingers at the bottom of it. Soft overhead lights flickers on bathing the small café with an unnatural dim glow. The quiet hum of background conversation create an atmosphere of warmth and comfort but I feel quite the opposite of it.

Ethan's earnest brown eyes study me over the rim of his coffee cup, a soft smile playing on his lips. His white coat is draped over the chair next to him, the medical emblem of his profession and a strong testament to the countless lives he's saved.

True be told Ethan and I were never serious. It was a casual relationship, one that was built on common interests and convenience, but I've realize now that it's time to move on. With Xavier making efforts to be a part of Tyler's life and mine plus with all the adjustments happening, I truly can't go on like this.

It's not fair and I did say I would after Ty's party yesterday.

A sudden flicker in the corner of my eye attracts my attention to the window just as I'm about to break the news. It's subtle, a shift in dark shadows, but my gut tells me something's not right. I strain my eyes towards the darkness, but all I see is the wonky reflection of the typical bustle inside the café.

Yet, the feeling of being watched lingers. The sense of being unease creeps up my spine. This doesn't feel like Xavier's security detail, it's too... stealthy, too unnerving.

The thought of Troy looms briefly in my mind. Would he be so stupid to try something, knowing he's on a conditional release? The rational part of me wants to believe no but he has done it once before. The mere thought brings an unsettling shiver that runs up my spine.

Despite the growing apprehension, I decide not to tell Ethan. He doesn't need to be caught up in this... whatever 'this' may be.

Shaking off the feeling, I avert my attention back to Ethan and on the task at hand. "We need to talk,"

The man nods in understanding as he leans  back in the booth, silently giving me the floor to speak. The stone expression on his face is pretty hard to read. "Go ahead."

"I've been doing a lot of thinking," I continue, my gaze dropping to my untouched coffee. "About us."

His gaze never leave me, patiently waiting for me to continue.

"I think we should end things here," I pause, trying to find the perfect set of words to say. Oh shit, this is hard. "We've been on some wonderful dates, but... my heart is not into it anymore and... it's not fair to you so... I think it's best if we stop trying to pursue an intimate relationship."

Silence. A deafening silence leaves my words hanging in the air. The soft hum of conversation from other patrons and the clinking of coffee cups is the only noise shared between us. The air feels thick, heavy with unspoken thoughts and emotions. I keep my gaze fixed on the window, my heart pounds in my chest as I await his response.

The world outside continues to swirl in darkness, the eerie feeling of being watched still not leaving me. But for now, my world is here, in this café, with Ethan. And in this moment of confrontation and confession, I can only hope that the path I've chosen leads me towards healing and happiness.