48. Gianna

Irene's POV:

It has been 2 days since we left dad's house. Fortunately, we were able to help Myra get out of there.

Even though dad was really suspicious of how the photos got deleted, I don't think he had any doubt on us.

We have yet to receive my mother's phone number from the mysterious people on the phone. I really hope they weren't just bluffing.

"Irene!" Callum busted into my cabin with the flip phone in his hand. "They sent the number" he said.

We wasted no time in calling the number. I had waited too long already. I just need to hear her voice. I need her.

"Irene?" a soft voice which I recognized very well came from the other side. My mind blacked out on me.

Everything I had planned to say, everything I wanted to say; it all just washed away when I heard my mother's voice.

"Irene? You there?" mom asked again. A single tear rolled down my cheek as I stared at the phone. "Mo-m" my voice broke.

No one said anything. She was quiet. I was quiet. I don't think either of us knew what to say. So we just stayed in silence.

"Irene, speak" Callum whispered to me. That brought me back to my senses. "Where are you?" I asked. "Closer than you think my angel" she said.

Angel. She called me her angel. It had been so long since I have heard someone use that name. Mom always used to call me that.

Knowing that I was still her little angel warmed my heart like nothing else.

"How are you?" I asked next. "I'm fine. Just missing the star of my eye" she replied. I was the star of her eye. She missed me.

"Please come back" my voice was no more than a whisper, yet it held so many emotions. I was ready to beg if needed.

"I can't. I can't come back to the house Harry lives in" she said. "Come stay with me!" I reasoned.

"I love you Irene. I love you with everything I have. But there is some unfinished business that needs to be taken care of" she said.

"Business more important than me?" my voice broke again. I was full on crying now. I just needed to see her.

"Nothing is more important than you. But to keep you safe, I need to do this" she said. I said nothing to that.

"Irene" mom started again, "I have always loved you and I will continue to love and care for you my entire life. Just know, I'm always watching, and I never want to see you sad. Smile for me, laugh for me. Show me how strong my little girl is."

"I love you too mom" was the only thing I could say. I don't know if I'm strong. But if my mother wants me to be, I will try my best.

"Callum" mom said. I was a little surprised she knew about him. Callum was surprised too. You could read it on his face.

"Y-yes Mrs. Blackwood?" he asked. "Please don't be so formal. You're my daughter's husband and a very good man. If not mom, at least call me Gianna" she said.

Callum looked at me and I nodded. "Ok Gianna" he said. "Thank you" mother replied.

"I know what you have been through Callum. And you have no idea how strong you are to go through all of that and still survive. Never think low of yourself. You are so much more and so much better than your father has told you."

Callum's eyes slightly watered at that. I don't think anyone has ever said something like that to him. "Thank you Gianna" he said softly.

"Did you know?" I asked suddenly. "Know what?" mom asked. "About dad and his....antics" I replied.

Mom sighed. "Yes" she said nothing more. I didn't need anything more. Just one question though.

"You still left me with him?" I asked, my heart paining with pity for myself. Why would she leave me here if she knew?

"I didn't. I always kept an eye on you. I would see every single thing you were doing and I have seen every important moment of your life" she said.

"Why not just take me with you?" I asked.

"Because the court said I was 'unfit' to take care of you. Taking you after that would be illegal and I would be sent to jail" she said.

"You could've called her after she turned 18" Callum spoke. "He's right" I sided with him.

"You don't understand Callum. Where I live, it's not exactly....safe. I knew that as long as Irene didn't know about Harry, she would completely fine with him" mom said.

"What do you mean not safe? Are you also into some illegal shit?" I asked. My blood boiled imagining both my parents doing stuff like that.

"No, of course not!" mom quickly defended. "I can't tell you much Irene, but just know, I'm not doing anything wrong" she said.

I couldn't help but believe her. She was my mom after all.

"Can we meet?" I asked. But she just replied with a 'no it's dangerous'. I was annoyed but happy at the same time.

If not meet, at least I can talk and listen to her. It was one step forward.

"I have to go now. But just know, I love Irene. I also love you Callum and I hope that we'll meet soon" she said.

"I love you too mom. Bye" I said with a heavy heart. I wanted this call to never end. I wanted to hear her voice 24/7. I wanted to be with her.

But alas! Not everything you want happens.

As soon as mom was off the line, the flip phone in Callum's hand rung. He immediately picked it up.

"What do we have to do now?" Callum asked, coming straight to the point. I think he also wants to talk to his mother now.

"This one's not as easy" the feminine voice said. "Just say it" I demanded. I just want to meet mom. There was a sigh, before she spoke.

"Callum,you're going to have to go meet your sister."

------------

A/N: Callum's gonna have to go back to that hell hole. Do you think he will do it? If yes, how do you think it will turn out?