Part 22

"Hatred is a very underestimated emotion."
- Jim Morrison
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Lexus's POV

Fuck.

I can't let anger cloud my judgement. I need to remember my objective. It wasn't to kill him. Could I even do it?

"You know you can't do it." Alec pushes.

   "Did you tell him my sister's address?"

"He's probably already there. You wasted 5 minutes here with me when you could have been protecting her." he laughs.

5 minutes? That's right, I'm on a tight fucking time limit. I lower the gun and race out his office. Kaïs, who was waiting outside the door, follows behind me. He doesn't speak until we make it back to his car.

"He's at my mom's place." I tell him as I put the safety back on. He doesn't hesitate to start the car and race to the address. "How much time do we have left?"

   "Less than 30 minutes. Your mom's house is about 10 minutes away, leaving us with about 10 minutes to get him in the car and 15 minutes to drive to the clinic."

"We're not going to fucking make it." I stress.

   "We have no choice but to try. Call your sister."

I pull out my phone and call her. I pray she picks up.

"Hello?" she answers.

Thank goodness.

   "Celine. Where are you?" I ask.

"I just finished cheering for the basketball team. It was the last game. I'm about to head home now."

"Go celebrate a bit longer. I'll send you some money so you and the team can go out for ice cream."

"Really? Thanks, Toyota! We won't be out too late."

"Celine, you know I love you very much."

"I love you too... are you okay?"

"Yes, of course. Just thought I'd tell you that." I lie.

I'm always fucking lying.

"Okay then, Nissan. I'll talk to you later."

"Later." I hope on everything that that's the truth.

As we pull into my mothers driveway, we see two black Cadillacs. Instantly, two Russian men step out their cars and draw their weapons.

Oh yeah, he's definitely here. Kaïs and I look at each other, nod, then get out of the car slowly. One of the men pulls out his phone and makes a phone call. My only assumption is that he's calling Aleksei outside. After a minute, the man of the hour emerges from my mother's front door.

"Ms. Lux. It's been a while."