Part 14

"Those who are enjoying something, or suffering something, together, are companions. Those who enjoy or suffer one another, are not."
– C.S. Lewis
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Lexus's POV

The guilt of killing those two men is really getting to him, I know it. He won't admit it but it's clear as day. Every so often he'll look off in the distance, completely tuning out everything around him. I wonder if that was his first time having to kill someone.

The car ride to his house is quiet. When we get back to his place, he informs me that Kaïs will be here any second and that he'll be off buying another car. We say goodbye as I wait on the couch for Kaïs. When Kaïs walks in, I immediately ask him questions.

"Why's he so off?" I ask him.

   "Well hello to you too." Kaïs chuckles. "He's fine, just had a long day yesterday."

"I take it I won't get any details from you?"

   "Nope."

"Fine." I sigh. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

   "I get that I'm really sexy but I wouldn't touch my friend's girl." Kaïs jokes as he strokes his chin.

"Fuck you, you know I didn't mean it like that." I laugh as I throw a pillow at him.

He laughs, too, as he catches it and throws it beside me.

   "No, I don't. It's not uncommon for a woman to be chosen for you by the family, though. Perhaps I have one waiting for me." he explains.

An arranged marriage? I didn't even think of that. Is it possible Cash already has someone selected for him?

"What about Cash? Does he have someone picked for him?"

   "As far as I know, he does not. It's possible that can change."

"Where does that leave me?" I mumble to myself.

   "You two aren't in a real relationship so it shouldn't be a problem, right?"

"Right." I respond. Although true, I still feel hurt by the thought of him leaving me for another woman. "What kind of girls has Cash been with in the past?"

Kaïs chuckles as he takes a seat next to me. He ensures there's a good space between us as he extends his legs.

   "Well, I wouldn't say he dated anyone really. More like, messed around with. For example, there was this one girl in college...."

✢   ✢   ✢

For the past 2 hours, Kaïs has been telling me stories of Cash in his high school and college days. He omits anything crime related. Apparently in high school he was top of his class and a favorite among the girls. In his undergrad, he messed around with a lot of women while still maintaining his grades and graduating magna cum laude in accounting. As Kaïs and I laugh about Cash's past, he walks in with Marius. When he sees us on the couch, he instantly raises an eyebrow.

"What are you two doing?" Cash asks.

   "Reliving your good old days in college." Kaïs says.

"Hm. I hope you mentioned your fruitful time in college, Kaïs." Marius says. "Including the baby scare and the–"

   "Marius! Come on, man! Why can't you let that go?" Kaïs whines.

"Because fucking three girls at once, raw, is a story you forget to share when telling others of our past." Cash counters.

"Woah, 3 at once?" I ask.

   "Cash!" Kaïs stands up with his hands up. "Come on, man. I told her nothing but good things! No need to air out my dirty laundry."

"Mhm." Marius and Cash say at the same time.

"In other news." Marius changes the subject. "Seems like your mother found about Lexus here, Cash."

"Damn it, Renee. How do you know?" Cash questions.

"Adalene. She says to expect a call about a family dinner at 8." Marius answers.

Cash throws his head back and groans.

"Do you work tonight?" Cash asks me.

"I'm supposed to." I respond.

"You're going to have to call out. If this is true, my mother is not asking you to come. She's telling you. You don't want to tell her no, trust me. I'll never hear the end of it."

"And I'll never hear the end of it from my boss. I'll go to work after the dinner, how's that sound?" I compromise.

Marius and Kaïs look at each other then at Cash.

"Fine. I'll be doing some work in the meantime." Cash says before going into his office.

I take the opportunity to go upstairs and text my boss that I'll be showing up late. After about 20 minutes, he responds back.

A-Hole / Boss: When you get here, come to my office

Fuck.