Part 9

"The difficult thing is that vulnerability is the first thing I look for in you and the last thing I'm willing to show you. In you, it's courage and daring. In me, it's weakness."
- Brene Brown
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cash's POV

"Do you love my sister?" Celine asks me.

I hate lying but in this case, I have to.

   "Yes, I do."

"I love her too. You may not know this but she's the one who raised me growing up. While our mother was busy trying, and failing, to secure an 18-year child support check, Ram Truck was the one who took care of me. She still does to this day. The reason she started dancing was to have enough money to send me to my dream school. She refuses to buy a nice apartment or car or anything. That selfless decision cost her a lot. Her relationship with our mom, her boyfriend at the time, her own aspirations, and so much more."

   "I know she means a lot to you. I'd do anything for my sister too so I understand."

"Good. So, don't fuck her over. I'll never forgive you. Those words may not mean anything to you but I had to say it." she says.

   "I understand. Goodbye, Celine."

"You never told me your real name." she reminds me.

   "Keep listening to your sister and get that scholarship to UCLA, then I'll tell you." I say as I walk out the front door.

The second Lexus sees me, she rushes to my side. Before she can ask me a million questions on what her sister and I talked about, I wrap my arm around her and pull her closer.

"Let's go to my place then we can talk." I do not give her a chance to object as I guide her to the car.

✢   ✢   ✢

When we get to my place, I give Kaïs her keys so he can collect all her belongings. I have a long night ahead of me. The Russians have numerous businesses on the west coast that I have to look into as well as the ones they opened here in Boston.

I remind Lexus that she's more than welcome to use anything in my home before I walk into my office. I expect her to follow me but surprisingly she doesn't. I take the opportunity to get some work done.

After about 3 hours, I start to smell something cooking. I'm curious as to what she's making so I decide to leave the office to check on her. She looks to be in her own world as she cooks the ground beef with her headphones in, bobbing her head to whatever music she's listening to.

I wave at her to get her attention. She looks up, takes one earbud out, then starts seasoning the beef.

"I'm making spaghetti. Not very French, I know, but it's something quick and easy." she says.

   "Spaghetti is good. Do you want help?"

"No, I'm good. I do have questions I want to ask you."

   "Go ahead."

"Will my sister be safe? Aleksei won't find out where she lives, will he?"

   "I made arrangements for someone to watch over your sister just in case." I inform her.

"When did you do that?"

   "On the way to your mother's house. It's my turn to ask you something. Your sister mentioned an old boyfriend. Tell me about that."