224. Deciding the Future

Althea woke early the first morning of term and quickly made her way down to the Great Hall, wondering privately to herself if Slughorn would prove to be as good of a teacher as Snape had been. More than that, however, she wondered what Snape's classes would be like now that he was teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts.

She was joined a few minutes later by Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who were busily discussing whether or not anyone would continue on with Care of Magical Creatures. The general answer seemed to be a definitive no.

"Hey," Neville said, sitting down beside Thea and beginning to dish himself breakfast. "McGonagall come through yet?"

"Not yet," Harry replied.

It was slow progress as she moved through the sixth years as she had to not only reference their O.W.L. scores but also the classes they wanted to take, and the grade required by their teacher.

"Now, Miss Granger," McGonagall said as she came to her.

She was instantly cleared to take Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Herbology, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Potions. She did not even wait for the others as she dashed off for her first Ancient Runes class.

Looking over Neville's paperwork, McGonagall said, "Herbology fine. Professor Sprout will be delighted to see you back with an 'Outstanding' O.W.L. and you qualify for Defence Against the Dark Arts with 'Exceeds Expectations,' but the problem is Transgifuration. I'm sorry, Longbottom, but an 'Acceptable' really isn't good enough to continue to N.E.W.T. level. I just don't think you could cope with the coursework."

"I'm sorry, Neville," Althea said gently as he hung his head.

Peering at him over her square spectacles, McGonagall asked, "Why do you want to continue with Transfiguration, anyway? I've never had the impression that you particularly enjoyed it."

Looking miserable, Neville muttered something none of them could catch, but Althea was sure she heard something about his grandmother.

"Hmph," McGonagall snorted. "It's high time your grandmother learned to be proud of the grandson she's got, rather than the one she thinks she ought to have - particularly after what happened at the Ministry."

Neville turned slightly pink and looked completely perplexed. With the exception of Professor Lupin and Professor Sprout, no professor had ever given him a compliment before.

"I'm sorry, Longbottom," McGonagall said. "But I cannot let you into my N.E.W.T. class. I see that you have an 'Exceeds Expectations' in Charms, however - why not try for a N.E.W.T. in Charms?"

"My grandmother thinks Charms is a soft option," Neville admitted nervously.

"Take Charms," McGonagall said. "And I shall drop Augusta a line reminding her that just because she failed her Charms O.W.L. the subject is not necessarily worthless."

Althea restrained a laugh with difficulty, but as Neville looked at her with a delighted expression, both broke out into laughter.

McGonagall smiled slightly as she said, "Now, as for you, Miss Black, I must say that I was very pleased with your 'Outstanding' in Transfiguration. You may, of course, resume with your requested Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Potions, and Transfiguration. I know Professor Snape was very pleased with your Potions results even if he is no longer your teacher in the subject."

"Thank you," Althea said, looking very surprised yet flattered.

She couldn't help, once again, to feel a sharp twist of guilt in her gut. She shouldn't have said he should have died and now it was eating her alive.

"So, Potter, Potter," McGonagall trailed. "Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Transfiguration...all fine. I must say, I was pleased with your Transfiguration mark, Potter, very pleased. Now, why haven't you applied to continue with Potions? I thought it was your ambition to become an auror?"

"It was, but you told me I had to get an 'Outstanding' in my O.W.L. Professor," Harry replied.

"And so you did when Professor Snape was teaching the subject," McGonagall replied. "Professor Slughorn, however, is perfectly happy to accept N.E.W.T. students with 'Exceeds Expectations' at O.W.L. Do you wish to proceed with Potions?"

"Yes," Harry said. "But I didn't buy the books or any ingredients or anything-"

"I'm sure Professor Slughorn will be able to lend you some," McGonagall said.

"And you can look on with me if you need to," Althea offered.

"Thanks," Harry said.

"Very well, Potter, here is your schedule," McGonagall said. "Oh, by the way, twenty hopefuls have already put down their names for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. I shall pass the list to you in due course and you can fix up trials at your leisure."

After Ron had been cleared to take all the same subjects as Harry and Thea, they began looking over their schedules.