202. The Dulcet Nature of Trust

"And through all this, we are supposed to believe Dumbledore has never suspected you?" Bellatrix retorted sceptically. "He had no idea of your true allegiance, he trusts you implicitly still?"

"I have played my part well," Snape said. "And you overlook Dumbledore's greatest weakness. He has to believe the best of people. I spun him a tale of deepest remorse when I joined his staff, fresh from my Death Eaters days, and he embraced me with open arms - though, as I say, never allowing me nearer the Dark Arts than he could help. Dumbledore has been a great wizard-" Here Bellatrix made a scathing noise "-oh yes, he has. The Dark Lord acknowledge it. I am pleased to say, however, that Dumbledore is growing old. The duel with the Dark Lord last month shook him. He has since sustained a serious injury because his reactions are slower than they once were. But through all these years, he has never stopped trusting Severus Snape, and therein lies my great value to the Dark Lord."

Bellatrix said nothing, instead glaring moodily at him.

"Now...you came to ask me for help, Narcissa?" Snape said, finally turning away from her sister.

"Yes, Severus," she said, looking up at him, her pale face painted with despair. "I-I think you are the only one who can help me. I have nowhere else to turn. Lucius is in jail and...the Dark Lord has forbidden me to speak of it. He wishes none to know of the plan. It is...very secret. But-"

"If he has forbidden it, you ought not to speak," Snape said at once. "The Dark Lord's word is law."

Narcissa gasped as tears streamed down her pale cheeks.

"There!" Bellatrix cried triumphantly. "Even Snape says so. You were told not to talk, so hold your silence!"

As she was speaking, however, Ellis watched as Snape got to his feet, approaching the window and looking cautiously out. Snapping the curtains shut again, he turned back to face them.

"As it so happens," he said, resuming his seat, "I know of the plan. I am one of the few the Dark Lord has told. Nevertheless, had I not been in on the secret, Narcissa, you would have been guilty of great treachery to the Dark Lord."

"I thought you must know about it!" Narcissa said, sounding relieved. "He trusts you so, Severus..."

"You know about the plan?" Bellatrix said. "You know?"

"Certainly," Snape said. "But what help do you require, Narcissa? If you are imagining I can persuade the Dark Lord to change his mind, I am afraid there is no hope, none at all."

"Severus," she whispered, tears continuing to slide down her cheeks. "My son...my only son..."

"Draco should be proud," Bellatrix said indifferently. "The Dark Lord is granting him a great honour. And I will say this for Draco: He isn't shrinking away from his duty, he seems glad of a chance to prove himself, excited at the prospect-"

"That's because he's sixteen and has no idea what lies in store!" Narcissa cried, beginning to sob. "Why, Severus? Why my son? It is too dangerous! This is vengeance for Lucius' mistake, I know it! Even Lyra would have been a less dangerous choice."

"The Dark Lord has other plans in mind for Lyra," Snape said softly.

Ellis' eyes flashed as he looked at him, his eyes slightly wide and curious.

"That's why he's chosen Draco, isn't it?" Narcissa pressed. "To punish Lucius?"

"If Draco succeeds," Snape said slowly, not looking at her. "He will be honoured above all others."

"But he won't succeed!" Narcissa sobbed. "How can he, when the Dark Lord himself-"

Bellatrix gasped, cutting across her instantly.

"I only meant...that nobody has yet succeeded," Narcissa said quickly. "Severus...please...You are, you have always been, Draco's favourite teacher...you are Lucius' old friend...I beg you...You are the Dark Lord's favourite, his most trusted advisor...Will you speak to him, persuade him-"

"The Dark Lord will not be persuaded, and I am not stupid enough to attempt it," Snape said flatly. "I cannot pretend the Dark Lord is not angry with Lucius. Lucius was supposed to be in charge. He got himself captured, along with how many others, and failed to retrieve the prophecy into the bargain. Yes, the Dark Lord is angry, Narcissa, very angry indeed." Shifting his gaze to Bellatrix, he added, "And no, he is not angry with your brother and Lyra for leaving at Dumbledore's arrival, namely because both expressed doubt from the beginning in Lucius' leadership."

Ellis quickly said, "I wasn't doubting, I was just-"

"The Dark Lord values natural leadership, Lestrange," Snape said softly. "Ensure he sees it in you if you wish to continue rising in his favour."

"But then," Narcissa said as more tears fell, "I am right. He has chosen Draco in revenge! He does not mean him to succeed, he wants him to be killed trying!" Getting to her feet, she grabbed onto him by the front of his robes, pleading, "You could do it. You could do it instead of Draco, Severus. You would succeed, of course you would, and he would reward you beyond all of us-"

Catching hold of her wrists and removing her from him, Snape said, "He intends me to do it in the end, I think. But he is determined that Draco should try first. You see, in the unlikely event that Draco succeeds, I shall be able to remain at Hogwarts a little longer, fulfilling my useful role as spy."

"In other words, it doesn't matter to him if Draco is killed!" Narcissa sobbed.

"The Dark Lord is very angry," Snape said quietly. "He failed to hear the prophecy. You know as well as I do, Narcissa, that he does not forgive easily."

Narcissa crumpled, sobbing at Snape's feet, "My son...my only son..."

"You should be proud!" Bellatrix said ruthlessly. "If I had sons, I would be glad to give them up to the service of the Dark Lord just as Rodolphus did with Ellis!"

Ellis' eyes flashed as he fixed his gaze upon her.

Stooping, Snape seized Narcissa by the arms and lifted her back to the couch as he said, "Narcissa, that's enough. Listen to me." Pouring her more wine, he resumed, "It might be possible...for me to help Draco."