201. The Most Worthy

"I think you next wanted to know," Snape pressed, "why I stood between the Dark Lord and the Sorcerer's Stone. That is easily answered. He did not know whether he could trust me. He thought, like you, that I had turned from faithful Death Eater to Dumbledore's stooge. He was in a pitiable condition, very weak, sharing the body of a mediocre wizard. He did not dare reveal himself to a former ally if that ally might turn him over to Dumbledore or the Ministry. I deeply regret that he did not trust me. He would have returned to power three years sooner. As it was, I saw only greedy and unworthy Quirrell attempting to steal the stone and, I admit, I did all I could to thwart him."

"But you didn't return when he came back, you didn't fly back to him at once when you felt the Dark Mark burn-" Bellatrix said, sounding almost as though she were grasping.

"Correct. I returned two hours later. I returned on Dumbledore's orders," Snape said.

"On Dumbledore's-" she began in outrage.

"Think!" Snape snapped. "Think! By waiting two hours, just two hours, I ensured that I could remain at Hogwarts as a spy! By allowing Dumbledore to think that I was only returning to the Dark Lord's side because I was ordered to, I have been able to pass information on Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix ever since! Consider, Bellatrix: The Dark Mark had been growing stronger for months. I knew he must be able to return, all the Death Eaters knew! I had plenty of time to think about what I wanted to do, to plan my next move, to escape like Karkaroff, didn't I?

"The Dark Lord's initial displeasure at my lateness vanished entirely, I assure you, when I explained that I remained faithful, although Dumbledore thought I was his man. Yes, the Dark Lord thought that I had left him forever, but he was wrong."

"But what use have you been?" Bellatrix retorted. "What useful information have we had from you?"

"My information has been conveyed directly to the Dark Lord," Snape said. "If he chooses not to share it with you-"

"He shares everything with me!" Bellatrix said angrily.

"Does he?" Ellis said irritably. He had been growing more impatient by the second. "Does he still after what happened at the Ministry?"

"That was not my fault!" Bellatrix cried, instantly getting in his face. "And anyway, you ran! You disapparated the moment Dumbledore appeared!"

"Of course, I did!" Ellis shouted back, slamming his glass on the table with a crash. "I'm not stupid, Bellatrix. If I hadn't disapparated, I'd be locked in a cell, same as the rest of them! And I don't hear you accusing Lyra of anything!"

"Lyra was a coward too, just like her-"

"Enough!" Narcissa cried, flaring up at once, giving her sister a dark, dangerous look.

Ellis' eyes flashed as he met Bellatrix's gaze, his stare cold and hard. Her eyes were oddly piercing, more piercing than he thought eyes could be, but the next moment, Snape had risen to his feet, stepping between them and blocking Bellatrix's view.

"I will not sit here and listen to you blame my daughter or my husband," Narcissa said in a dark, dangerous voice.

"There is no point apportioning blame," Snape said smoothly as Bellatrix finally stepped back. "What is done, is done."

"But not by you!" Bellatrix cried. "No, you were once again absent while the rest of us ran dangers, were you not, Snape?"

"My orders were to remain behind," Snape said. "Perhaps you disagree with the Dark Lord, perhaps you think that Dumbledore would not have noticed if I had joined forces with the Death Eaters to fight the Order of the Phoenix? And - forgive me - you speak of dangers...you were facing seven teenagers, were you not?"

"They were joined, as you very well know, by half the order before long!" Bellatrix cried. "And, while we are on the subject of the Order, you still claim you cannot reveal the whereabouts of their headquarters, don't you?"

"I am not the Secret-Keeper," Snape replied. "I cannot speak the name of the place. You understand how the enchantment works, I think? The Dark Lord is satisfied with the information I have passed him on the Order. It led, as perhaps you have guessed, to the recent capture and murder of Emmeline Vance and with the handling of the Moore-Weasley family-" Ellis quickly looked up "-and it certainly helped dispose of Sirius Black, though I give you full credit for finishing him off."

"That brings up another question," Bellatrix snarled. "Amara, your sister! By all accounts, you had every opportunity to end her and yet when the moment came, you never once took it!"

"If you will recall," Snape said, his voice as cold as ice, "I nearly did kill her."

"And yet I was the one who had to deal the killing strike!" Bellatrix shrieked.

"An action for which I am immensely grateful," Snape said with a slight bow of his head. "I was growing tired of her."

"And yet, you cannot tell us where that brat of theirs is being kept?" Bellatrix retorted.

"I do not know where Amara's child is," Snape said, his voice growing curiously soft. "If I did, I would kill it myself."

"You are avoiding my last question, Snape," Bellatrix sneered. "Harry Potter. You could have killed him at any point in the past five years. You have not done it. Why?"

"Have you discussed this matter with the Dark Lord?" Snape asked.

"He...lately, we...I am asking you, Snape!"

"If I had murdered Harry Potter, the Dark Lord could not have used his blood to regenerate, making him invincible-"

"You claim you foresaw his use of the boy!" she jeered.

"I do not claim it; I had no idea of his plans. I have already confessed that I thought the Dark Lord dead. I am merely trying to explain why the Dark Lord is not sorry that Potter survived...at least until a year ago."

"But why did you keep him alive?"

"Have you not understood me?" Snape retorted, losing patience. "It was only Dumbledore's protection that was keeping me out of Azkaban! Do you disagree that murdering his favourite student might have turned him against me? But there was more to it than that. I should remind you that when Potter first arrived at Hogwarts there were still many stories circulating about him, rumours that he himself was a great Dark wizard, which was how he had survived the Dark Lord's attack. Indeed, many of the Dark Lord's old followers thought Potter might be a standard around which we could all rally once more. I was curious, I admit it, and not at all inclined to murder him the moment he set foot in the castle.

"Of course, it became apparent to me very quickly that he had no extraordinary talent at all. He has fought his way out of a number of tight corners by a simple combination of sheer luck and more talented friends. He is mediocre to the last degree, though as obnoxious and self-satisfied as was his father before him. I have done my utmost to have him thrown out of Hogwarts, where I believe he scarcely belongs, but kill him, or allow him to be killed in front of me? I would have been a fool to risk it with Dumbledore close at hand."