200. Slippery Spiders

When the drinks came, Snape quickly began pouring, not glancing up as he added, "Sure I can't tempt you, Lestrange?"

Smiling slightly, Ellis returned the book he had been looking at before he leaned against the table and replied, "I like to keep my mind clear of any such...meddlements."

Snape's lips curled as he passed out the remaining glasses, pouring water into the fourth and passing it to Ellis.

"The Dark Lord," Snape said, raising his glass and draining it.

The sisters copied him as Ellis did the same, taking a small sip of water before setting it aside.

When Snape had finished refilling the sisters' cups, Narcissa said quickly, "Severus, I'm sorry to come here like this, but I had to see you. I think you are the only one who can help me-"

Snape held up a hand quickly, once again opening the concealed staircase door. A loud bang followed the sound of hurried footsteps as Wormtail rushed back up the stairs.

Closing the door again, Snape said, "My apologies. He has lately taken to listening at doors, I don't know what he means by it...You were saying, Narcissa?"

"Severus, I know I ought not to be here. I have been told to say nothing to anyone, but-"

"Then you ought to hold your tongue!" Bellatrix snarled. "Particularly in present company!"

"'Present company'?" Snape repeated sardonically. "And what am I to understand by that, Bellatrix? Surely you can't mean your brother, a green Death Eater, though he be?"

Ellis glanced at Bellatrix, withholding a small smile. He hated to admit it considering how much he had loathed Snape as a teacher, but he couldn't help but like him, now that he got to watch him humiliate the person who had murdered his real sister. A lump formed in his throat at the thought, but he quickly shook it off. He wouldn't think of her, not now, not here.

"That I don't trust you, Snape," Bellatrix said quickly. "As you very well know!"

Setting down his glass and leaning back, Snape smiled into Bellatrix's glowering face as he said, "Narcissa, I think we ought to hear what Bellatrix is bursting to say, it will save tedious interruptions. Well, continue, Bellatrix. Why is it that you do not trust me?"

"A hundred reasons!" Bellatrix cried, striding out from behind the couch to slam her glass on the table. "Where to start! Where were you when the Dark Lord fell? Why did you never make any attempt to find him when he vanished? What have you been doing all these years that you've lived in Dumbledore's pocket? Why did you stop the Dark Lord procuring the Sorcerer's Stone? Why did you not return at once when the Dark Lord was reborn? Where were you a few weeks ago when we battled to retrieve the prophecy for the Dark Lord? And why, Snape, is Harry Potter still alive, when you have had him at your mercy for five years?"

"Oh, enough, Bella," Ellis snapped irritably. "Do you not think the Dark Lord-"

"You ask where I was," Snape interrupted, giving Ellis a peculiar look Bellatrix couldn't quite interpret, "when the Dark Lord fell. I was where he had ordered me to be, at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, because he wished me to spy upon Albus Dumbledore. You know, I presume, that it was on the Dark Lord's orders that I took up the post? You ask why I did not attempt to find him when he finished. For the same reason that Avery, Yaxley, the Carrows, Greyback, Lucius, and many others did not attempt to find him. I believed him finished. I am not proud of it. I was wrong, but there it is...If he had not forgiven we who lost faith at that time, he would have very few followers left. Why, I doubt even your precious brother here ever tried to look."

"He'd have me!" Bellatrix cried passionately. "I, who spent many years in Azkaban for him!"

"Yes, indeed most admirable," Snape said, sounding bored. "Of course, you weren't a lot of use to him in prison, but the gesture was undoubtedly fine-"

"Gesture!" Bellatrix shrieked. "While I endured the dementors, you remained at Hogwarts, comfortably playing Dumbledore's pet!"

"Not quite," Snape said calmly. "He wouldn't give me the Defence Against the Dark Arts job, you know. Seemed to think it might, ah, bring about a relapse...tempt me into my old ways."

"You did enough damage as Potions master, Snape" Ellis began with a small grin.

Snape's lips curled as Bellatrix interrupted in a jeer, "This was your sacrifice for the Dark Lord, not to teach your favourite subject? Why did you stay there all that time, Snape? Still spying on Dumbledore for a master you believed dead?"

"Hardly," Snape said. "Although the Dark Lord is pleased that I never deserted my post: I had sixteen years of information on Dumbledore to give him when he returned, a rather more useful welcome-back present than endless reminiscences of how unpleasant Azkaban is..."

"But you stayed-"

"Yes, Bellatrix, I stayed," Snape snapped, finally betraying a hint of impatience. "I had a comfortable job that I preferred to a stint in Azkaban. They were rounding up the Death Eaters, you know. Dumbledore's protection kept me out of jail; it was most convenient and I used it. I repeat: the Dark Lord does not complain that I stayed, so I do not see why you do."