215. The Almost Duel

Althea instantly shared annoyed looks with Hermione as they saw Draco Malfoy come around the rack, wearing a set of green dress robes. While examining himself in the mirror, he looked up, suddenly catching sight of the five of them.

"In case you're wondering what the smell is, Mother, a mudblood just walked in," he said.

"I don't think there's any need for language like that!" Madam Malkin exclaimed, coming into sight with an indignant expression. "And I don't want wands drawn in my shop either!"

Looking over, Althea saw that Harry and Ron had drawn their wands. While Sadie hadn't pulled hers out, Althea did not fail to notice that her hand was tightly clenched in her pocket and she was staring at Malfoy with a cold, set expression.

"Yeah, like you'd dare use magic outside of school!" Malfoy sneered. "Who blacked your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers."

"That's quite enough!" Madam Malkin said sharply. "Madam, please-"

Athea nearly jumped out of her skin as a figure emerged from behind the rack. For a horrible, terrified moment, she thought she was staring into the cold face of Lyra again. There was no time for Harry to stop her this time. Her wand was out before anyone could move.

Sadie quickly jumped forward, grabbing her wrist and wrenching her arm down as she hissed, "It's not her. It's not her, Thea."

Althea shook as she look a closer look at Narcissa Malfoy who was looking at her strangely. Breathing shakily, she lowered her wand, leaning against Sadie for support. Draco was staring at her with a horrifically triumphant expression as Ron and Hermione looked at her in shock. Althea closed her eyes, blocking out the image of the woman who looked so horribly like her daughter. Sadie was still holding onto her, but her eyes were blazing as she looked at Narcissa. She too had felt a horrible jolt at the sight of her.

"Put those away," Narcissa said coldly, eyeing Harry, Ron, and Althea's still-drawn wands. "If you attack my son again, I shall ensure that it is the last thing you ever do."

"Really?" Harry said icily, taking a step in front of Althea. "Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in?"

"Really!" Madam Malkin cried in shock, clutching at her heart. "You shouldn't accuse - dangerous thing to say - wands away, please!"

Harry's wand remained aloft as Narcissa smiled unpleasantly.

"I see that being Dumbledore's favourite has given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter. But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you," Narcissa said.

Glancing mockingly around the shop, Harry said, "Wow...look at that...he's not here now. So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!"

"Harry!" Althea gasped, giving the Malfoys a terrified look as Draco started forward.

"Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" Malfoy snarled, tripping on his robe.

"It's all right, Draco," Narcissa said, restraining him with a single pale hand on his shoulder. "I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius and Amara before I am reunited with Lucius."

"You should leave," Sadie said, her voice curiously soft yet her tone was so low it sounded much more like a threat. "Otherwise, I might be forced to have just...let my wand slip, thought you were someone else, someone curiously familiar...perhaps someone who currently has their face plastered throughout the wizarding world."

Narcissa's eyes flickered as they focused on her for the first time. A cold, cruel smile crossed her lips.

"It's Sadie, isn't it?" she said coolly. "I heard about your family. Dreadful tragedy."

"I won't warn you again," Sadie said, her voice growing all the more low and soft.

Madam Malkin seemed to have frozen, unable to decide what to do before she finally bent down beside Draco as she said, "I think this left sleeve could come up a little bit more, dear, let me just-"

"Ouch!" Malfoy cried, jerking his arm out of her grip. "Watch where you're putting your pins, woman! Mother - I don't think I want these anymore!"

Pulling the robes over his head, he threw them to the ground.

"You're right, Draco," Narcissa said, looking contemptuously at Hermione. "Now I know the kind of scum that shops here...We'll do better at Twilfitt and Tatting's."

Without another word, Draco strode from the shop, his mother trailing behind.

As she passed, Narcissa lingered by Althea, remarking in a voice so soft only she could hear it, "Lyra sends her greetings."

Then she was gone. Althea was trembling so badly that the moment the door shut behind them, she slid to the ground, covering her mouth with her hands as she tried to make herself as small as possible. She hated falling apart like this, especially where her friends could see her, but she couldn't help it.

"Thea," Harry said gently, crouching down beside her as Madam Malkin muttered furiously to herself and cleaned the robes Draco had discarded.

"I-I'm fine," Althea whispered shakily, hiding her head in her hands. "Just get your robes."