223. A Splash of Colour

"Where is he?" Althea asked anxiously, bouncing on her heels as they lingered on the platform, looking around for Harry.

"He must have gone on ahead," Hermione said, although she didn't look entirely convinced. "I'm sure we'll find him when we get into the Great Hall."

But they didn't find him in the Great Hall. In fact, the plates had just filled with dessert when Harry finally appeared, dried blood covering just under his nose and chin.

"Where have you been?" Althea demanded worriedly as Ron asked, "What've you done to your face?"

"Why, what's wrong with it?" Harry asked obliviously, tearing his eyes away from Althea, who he had been looking at rather strangely.

"You're covered in blood!" Hermione said. "Come here - Tergeo!"

"Thanks," Harry said, patting his clean face. "How's my nose looking?"

"Normal," Hemione said anxiously. "Why shouldn't it? Harry, what happened?"

"We've been worried sick," Althea pressed nervously.

"I'll tell you later," Harry said quickly, uncomfortably aware of just how many people were listening in.

"But-" Hermione began.

"Not now, Hermione," Harry insisted in a darkly significant voice, giving Althea another odd look.

All throughout the rest of dinner, Althea kept catching him giving her odd looks.

Finally, she said, "Harry, why do you keep-"

But before she could finish, Dumbledore rose to his feet, facing them all with a wide, grinning expression.

"The very best of evenings to you!" Dumbledore called cheerfully. "To our new students, welcome! And to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you..."

Althea could not help but notice as he resumed that Snape, who was sitting at the staff table as usual, was giving her a strange look, almost as though she were a science experiment that was likely to spontaneously combust at any moment.

As she forced her eyes back to Dumbledore, he had just begun saying, "We are pleased to welcome a new member of staff this year. Professor Slughorn is a former colleague of mine who has agreed to resume his old post of Potions Master-"

"Potions?" Hermione gasped, looking at them in shock. "But, Harry, you said-"

"Professor Snape, meanwhile," Dumbledore resumed, "will be taking over the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"No!" Harry cried, but it was hardly heard over all the muttering that had broken out across the hall. "Well there's one good thing," Harry said savagely. "Snape'll be gone by the end of the year."

"What do you mean?" Althea asked with a frown.

Snape was still looking at her strangely. It was beginning to make her anxious. Had there been other news?

"Job's jinxed, isn't it?" Harry replied. "No one's lasted more than a year...Quirrell actually died doing it. Personally, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for another death..."

"Harry!" Althea exclaimed indignantly.

"He might just go back to teaching potions at the end of the year," Ron said reasonably. "That Slughorn may not want to stay long-term. Moody didn't."

But before anyone could respond to this, Dumbledore cleared his throat, instantly silencing all the mutterings.

"Now, as everybody in this hall knows," Dumbledore resumed once silence had fallen, "Lord Voldemort and his followers are once more at large and gaining in strength."

Althea shared a quick glance with Neville, but neither spoke. As she was shifting her gaze to look back at Dumbledore, however, Althea couldn't help but notice Malfoy, who was sitting at the table, making his fork hover in mid-air, looking bored.

"I cannot emphasize strongly enough how dangerous the present situation is, and how much care each of us at Hogwarts must take to ensure that we remain safe. The castle's magical fortifications have been strengthened over the summer, we are protected in new and more powerful ways, but we must still guard scrupulously against carelessness on the part of any student or member of staff. I urge you, therefore, to abide by any security restrictions that your teachers might impose upon you, however irksome you might find them - in particular, the rule that you are not to be out of bed after hours. I implore you, should you notice anything strange or suspicious within or outside the castle, to report it to a member of staff immediately. I trust you to conduct yourselves, always, with the utmost regard for your own and others' safety."

.

The moment they entered the Common Room and it cleared, Harry cornered Althea before she could go up to bed.

"Harry, what's wrong?" Althea asked, her brows furrowed in worry.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Harry asked tensely.

"Tell you what?" Althea said in confusion.

"Don't do that," Harry snapped. "Thea, why didn't you tell me Lyra's going after you?"

Althea sighed, closing her eyes briefly as she ran a hand through her hair.

"Harry-" she sighed.

"No, Thea," Harry interrupted. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Althea released a long breath as she sat down on the couch before the fire. Harry sat down next to her, giving her a worried look.

"Thea," he pressed.

"I didn't want you lot to worry," Althea said finally. "Harry, I don't even know how to feel about it. I didn't want to deal with all the reactions, and-"

"I never do, but I've always told the three of you everything, especially you!" Harry interrupted.

"I know," Althea whispered. "I'm sorry." After a pause, she asked, "How did you find out, anyway?"

"Malfoy," Harry muttered irritably.

"Ah, so that's who broke your nose," Althea remarked.

Harry said nothing, but she could tell by the expression on his face that it was true.

"What subjects are you keeping?" Harry asked suddenly.

"Potions, Transfiguration, Charms, Herbology, and Defence Against the Dark Arts," Althea replied. "You?"

"Same, but not potions," Harry said.

They sat in silence for another few minutes before Althea asked, "Are you going to tell Hermione and Ron?"

Harry hesitated a moment before he finally replied, "No, but...Thea, you should tell them."

"I'll think about it," Althea said. Getting to her feet, she said, "I need to get some sleep. Goodnight, Harry."