199. Spinner's End

Ellis' expression remained impassive as he apparated from Malfoy Manor to Spinner's End. He had never been to the place before, but he was surprised to discover it to be so very drab and dreary, especially considering who lived there. Ghost town would perhaps be the most accurate way to describe it. Buildings empty apart from the scuttling mice and loiterers towered over them, their windows blind in the darkness, made darker by the rows upon rows of shattered street lamps. Even the rushing of a brown, dirty river behind them did little to make the place feel more alive. A towering, sinister chimney reared its head above, looking over them from a body of an abandoned mill.

The only sign of life came from a small, bright creature just a few feet from them. The little fox had frozen in place, it's terrified eyes fixed on the three of them. Ellis glanced over to see his sister-in-law Bellatrix eyeing the fox suspiciously even as she rushed after her sister Narcissa anxiously.

"Wait!" Bellatrix cried, startling the fox into motion.

With a single flick of her wand, Bellatrix sent the poor creature stumbling to a stop on the ground, completely motionless.

"Really?" Ellis said snappishly, looking from the fox to his sister-in-law.

"I thought perhaps an auror," she muttered before breaking into a run again. "Cissy, wait!" When she did not stop, Bellatrix cried again, "Cissy - Narcissa - listen to me-"

With a small sigh, Ellis followed them, keeping up easily with his long strides as Bellatrix finally got close enough to grab her sister by the wrist.

"Go back, Bella!" Narcissa snarled, her voice far deeper than usual as she wrenched her arm out of her grip.

"You must listen to me!" Bellatrix pleaded.

"I've listened already. I've made my decision. Leave me alone!" Narcissa retorted. "Take your pet with you."

Sending a disparaging look at Ellis, Bellatrix tore after her until they reached the top of the bank, looking around at the bedraggled buildings around them.

"He lives here?" Bellatrix said in a voice of contempt. "Here? In this muggle dunghill? We must be the first of our kind ever to set foot-"

Ignoring her, Narcissa and Ellis continued walking, leaving her trailing behind.

Glancing over irritably at Ellis, Narcissa remarked too quietly for her sister to hear, "I assume you believe me to be foolish as well?"

The corners of Ellis' lips twitched slightly as he said, "I have no opinion."

"Of course you have an opinion," Narcissa retorted softly.

"Not one worth sharing," Ellis countered indifferently.

They had just turned a corner when Bellatrix caught up enough to grab Narcissa by the arm, turning her quickly to face her.

"Cissy, you must not do this, you can't trust him-" she began in a desperate hiss.

"The Dark Lord trusts him, doesn't he?" Narcissa retorted.

"The Dark Lord is...I believe...mistaken," Bellatrix began cautiously, looking around quickly. "In any case, we were told not to speak of the plan to anyone. This is a betrayal of the Dark Lord's-"

"Bellatrix, give it a rest," Ellis said with a small sigh, giving her a warning look. "You're not going to change her mind."

Narcissa gave him a surprised yet grateful look before she turned, continuing down the lane again as Ellis turned to follow, ignoring Bellatrix's searing glare. They passed many more houses before finally reaching one at the very end. It was a shabby house, looking nearly as ghostlike as the rest of Spinner's End aside from a tiny light glimmering from behind the curtains of a downstairs room.

Narcissa quickly knocked, not letting her sister have a chance to try and stop her again. They waited a moment, Bellatrix breathing heavily, before the door opened a crack. Through it, they could see exactly who they had come to see. They could see his long, black hair, beedle-black eyes, and sallow face through the small crack between the door and its frame. Narcissa threw back her hood, putting into harsh relief her deathly pale face.

"Narcissa," Severus said in surprise, opening the door wider and catching sight of her companions. "What a pleasant surprise."

"Severus," Narcissa said, her voice nothing more than a strained whisper. "May I speak to you? It's urgent."

"But of course," Snape said, taking a step back to allow them entry.

Narcissa passed in first before Bellatrix followed, not waiting for an invitation. Ellis hesitated, meeting Snape's cold eyes with his own curious ones. With a slight nod of his head, Snape gestured him inside. They had entered a small sitting room, covered along every wall with books from floor to ceiling, most bound in black or dark brown leather. A worn sofa, a threadbare armchair, and a rickety table provided the only furniture, grouped together within the circle of light created by a candle-filled lamp hanging from the ceiling. It swayed slightly, shifting the light around them.

Snape gestured Narcissa to the sofa. Tossing aside her cloak, she took a seat, staring at her trembling hands as Bellatrix moved to stand, stock-still, behind her sister. Ellis, however, didn't seem to be much bothered and was moving along the walls, reading the names of books with unfeigned interest.

"So, what can I do for you?" Snape asked, sitting down in the armchair, glancing curiously at Ellis before fixing his attention entirely on the two sisters.

"We...we are alone, aren't we?" Narcissa asked quietly.

"Yes, of course," Snape said. "Well, Wormtail's here, but we're not counting vermin, are we?"

Ellis had to quickly step out of the way as, with a flick of his wand, Snape caused a hidden door to snap open, revealing a small, narrow staircase, on which Peter Pettigrew was standing completely still.

"As you have clearly realized, Wormtail, we have guests," Snape said lazily.

Stepping into the room, he said in a squeaky voice, "Narcissa! Bellatrix! How charming! And-"

"Wormtail will get us drinks, if you'd like them," Snape said. "And then he will return to his bedroom."

"I am not your servant!" Wormtail cried indignantly.

"Really? I was under the impression that the Dark Lord placed you here to assist me," Snape remarked coldly, raising his eyebrows.

"To assist, yes - but not to make you drinks and - and clean your house!" Wormtail squeaked.

"I had no idea, Wormtail, that you were craving more dangerous assignments," Snape said, his voice as silky as Ellis imagined a cat's would be. "This can be easily arranged. I shall speak to the Dark Lord-"

"I can speak to him myself if I want to!"

"Of course you can," Snape sneered. "But in the meantime, bring us drinks. Some of the elf-made wine will do."

"None for me," Ellis said quickly, suddenly looking up from the volume he had withdrawn from the shelf.

Snape made no comment, but his eyes glittered slightly as he glanced at him.