power over me

*Charles*

I could hardly put into words how much Evi meant to me. And the fact that she stayed by my side like that, no matter what happened, meant an infinite amount to me.

The harder it was for me when I had to travel again to do the next race in Austin. I didn't want to leave Evi behind again, but she didn't want to come. The last weeks had been too much for her and in order not to expose her to even more stress, I just left it at that this time.

She and Aly stayed with Mama. We could forget about our house. The address was public everywhere by now and I really didn't want people to show up at our house. I wanted to finally be able to rest. I would need to find a new house. A safe space for us. I had thought about it a lot and had not found a solution yet.

But I would take care of that when I was back home. Now I had to take care of something else. Or rather, someone else.

"Seb?" he didn't even stop when I called him.

It hurt because we had always gotten along so well. He had always been my friend, but now he wouldn't even talk to me.

"Seb, please, do you have a moment for me?", I asked nervously, running after him.

"Actually, I don't," he growled.

"Listen to me, I'm sorry.", I gulped "But it's all settled now. It's over now."

"Yeah, and who settled it? Evi. She took charge and saved your ass. Again! But you know what? My sister doesn't need a man who is actually an extra child! She needs a man she can rely on and not someone whose cart she always has to pull out of the shit!" he puffed angrily "You've hurt her so much so many times and quite honestly, I'd prefer it if you disappeared from her life. If you never showed up there again. But unfortunately, I know that she likes you very much and won't leave you. Especially because of Aly and your baby."

"I know I haven't really been the best boyfriend these past few weeks, but I promise you that will change. I'll do everything I can to make sure that..."

"No. Shove your promises!" he hissed angrily, nudging my shoulder with his hand "Prove it already!".

In this respect, the siblings were once again very united. But I could not blame them both.

I had to prove myself. But actually I had planned this quite differently. I had wanted to ask Seb for Evi's hand. But instead I now felt a spark of anger in me. He couldn't talk to me like that.

I knew myself how the last weeks had gone. And actually he knew me well enough to know that it wasn't always like that. Actually, I was quite different. Actually, I didn't need to be rescued all the time.

I took a breath and pushed his hand off my shoulder "Don't worry. I will. I was just trying to smooth the waters between us. But you want stress, you can have it.". With those words, I turned around.

I regretted it a little. Actually, I liked Seb a lot. He had always been more than just a mentor to me. But now another Charles had to take the wheel.

Not only to finally prove myself. I also still had a world championship to win. No matter how unlikely and far away it seemed.

Whoever messed with me got to feel a side that I usually kept deep inside. But they had all played with me long enough, made fun of me long enough at my expense.

Enough was enough.

I would soon be a father for the second time and Seb was right, I needed to finally get off my ass and be an adult. Like, for real.

"You have no idea who you just messed with," Seb growled.

It was exactly the fire I needed right now. Whether he was actually my friend or not. I needed that fire. It would carry me further than words of praise.