the worst part is the worries

*Evelyn*

I could just see Charles driving off.

My chest felt like it was constricting. He had just driven because he was so mad at me. And I could understand it. I hadn't taken proper care of Aly. I hadn't done everything I could to protect the little girl. He had every right to be mad at me and yet I couldn't take it well that he had just left.

I had been through hell since yesterday, had gone to jail for refusing to give Aly up. I had tried after all, and even if I hadn't tried enough, I was still just as damn affected by it as Charles was.

Aly was infinitely important to me and I would have done anything to protect her. But what was I supposed to do when they took me away?

What was I supposed to do?

But I somehow understood Charles' reaction anyway. I understood that he had immediately traveled to England to get his daughter back. In the process, though, he had completely forgotten about me, and even though I didn't want to ask too much or anything, I would have liked him to at least give me a quick hug and tell me that everything was going to be okay. I would have wished for at least a moment that he would have wasted a thought on me, just one.

Even though I certainly didn't blame him for being worried about his daughter and wanting to get her home as soon as possible. But I was there, too. I needed him too, at least for a moment. But I would never try to come between him and his daughter.

His daughter was the most important thing and that was absolutely right. He had those fatherly instincts. And me? I couldn't even manage to protect his child.

Lorenzo panted next to me and slowly pushed me back in. He didn't say a word, but I could see how much he was fuming with anger. I hadn't really heard what the two Brothers had been talking about, but it had been clear to everyone in here that they had been arguing.

"I'm sorry, I told him to wait, but..." he continued, then waved his hand away "I couldn't stop him."

"He did everything right," I said in a toneless voice.

"No. He didn't." he contradicted me "He can't do anything about it now anyway. Our lawyer would have been here in a few hours, but he had to get his way.", I could see his chest rising and falling faster and faster "He said in a pinch he'd get another lawyer. Complete bullshit. It won't get Aly back any faster. But I guess all we can do now is wait for him to get back to us and hope everything works out." he put his hand on my shoulder "You might want to eat and drink something Evi. You look pretty beat.", compassionately he pushed my chin up a little.

His eyes looked at me worriedly before he gently stroked my hair "I'm sure Charles will be in touch in a minute when he realizes he just lost it." he said and then pushed me towards the kitchen.

But this time Lorenzo was not right.

We still hadn't heard from Charles that evening, except that he had probably picked up the lawyer from his house and gone with him to England.

Since then, however, there had been radio silence. Charles answered neither calls nor messages. From none of us and I had given up on it by now.

I had gone up to bed and lay on the covers without closing an eye. I just wanted to be alone.

It drove me crazy that both Lorenzo and Seb were ranting about Charles all the time, because that didn't make it any better. He wouldn't call faster because they were ranting about him. Pascale hadn't been ranting about Charles, but had been so nervous the whole time that it had made me nervous too and I just couldn't stand that right now.