shower-thoughts

*Charles*

It had been the most terrible night of my life, so I was all the more relieved when we finally landed in Nice.

None of us had wanted to return to the house and so we had all left after the police questioning. Evi, Aly and I had flown directly to Nice and I had planned to take us to our house first. None of us would have been able to make the drive to Monaco. I had talked to Max on the phone before we left. He had contacts with a security company and had arranged for them to secure the house before we got there.

I didn't have the nerve to worry about that now.

My head was so full of worries. Those men in Greece had probably already recognized us at the restaurant. They had seen their chance when they noticed Evi, Aly and I leaving the restaurant alone. They had followed us and wanted to kidnap my daughter to collect the ransom. At least that's what they had said.

But did I know if it was the truth? Maybe there were more of them.

Or what if there were more people out there who had the idea to harm my daughter to get money from me?

The thing was now already in all media and even if I got many messages, which expressed sympathy, I was nevertheless terribly afraid that there would be free riders, who had now targeted Aly. Or Evi.

I couldn't think straight anymore. If something happened to them and I wasn't there to protect them....

I had told Max that I didn't just want security guards to secure the house before we arrived, but that I wanted people there permanently now. Something I had never needed.

I had never needed people guarding me or my door. But I would not let anyone get too close to them again.

I had only realized that night how much I had to lose.

Again and again this thought came up, what would have happened if Evi and I had not heard that someone was there. What would have happened if Aly hadn't woken up. If the men had been able to go through with their plan because Evi and I had been fucking on the terrace.

Fuck I felt really bad.

Not that I regretted making the move, just that we couldn't have picked a shittier time to do it.

But how were we supposed to know? How were we supposed to know that someone was there?

I pulled Evi to me and took Aly from her.

She had hardly let the little one out of her arms since she had run out of the bedroom with her. It hadn't escaped my notice that in the heat of the moment she had referred to Aly as her daughter. But I could see how beat up she was.

If she didn't get into a bed soon, I was sure she would collapse on me in a minute.

Evi and I had been awake for over 24 hours and both were tense to the last nerve.

I just wanted to get into the house and into bed.

It was lucky that it had been furnished, because even though I didn't want to leave it that way, there were beds now that we could just fall into.

We all needed that now. I just wanted them to be safe.

When we reached the house, the head of the security company already greeted me. He gave me a brief outline of what he had done, while Evi had already disappeared inside with Aly. I barely had the strength to listen to him, but I knew it was important.

Two people would be on the property at all times, securing it.

He had installed cameras and searched every inch. Nothing and no one was getting in here. He was sure of that.