last hope

*Charles*

I hadn't slept for two days and I was slowly but surely at the end of my nerve. Mom was on her way over because I just didn't know what else to do.

Aly hadn't stopped crying since Evi left and if I was honest, I felt like crying too.

I just wanted her to come back. But I had ruined that for myself and I couldn't even call her because in my rage after she sent me the pictures and videos of Aly and me, I had deleted our chat, blocked her number and deleted it directly.

And now she was in Greece. And with Lance, of all people. The man who was clearly a few steps ahead of me when it came to her.

He always seemed to know what to say or do.

She was probably better off with him anyway. I was sure he wouldn't yell at her. He certainly wouldn't break up with her and get someone else pregnant shortly after.

Fuck man. How could I actually be so stubborn when it came to her?

Why couldn't I just find the right words at least once?

Fuck!

When there was a knock on my apartment door, I breathed a sigh of relief. I could really use Mom's help. Surely she would watch Aly for a while and I could get out of here. I needed to run and clear my head. Really badly.

But when I opened, it wasn't Mom standing at my door, but a Max panting with rage.

My first reaction was to slam the door shut again, but he was faster and braced himself against the door.

"I told you what would happen if you hurt her again," he snorted.

I took a few steps backward.

"I just got off the phone with her because I wanted to know how your vacation was going and she practically broke down on the phone. Lance said it's been going on for days. She's just crying and it's starting all over again! Shit, I told you to leave her alone, but no, you had to take advantage of her good nature and then what? You kick her out again for sticking to your agreement? You fucking asshole have-", Max interrupted himself, his facial expression flipped and he squatted down "Hey princess. How are you?".

I breathed a sigh of relief. Aly stood next to me and clung to my leg. She looked from me to Max and back again.

"You're lucky she's here, Leclerc.", Max gasped "Trust me, this time Evi's words wouldn't have stopped me, even if she had..."

"Evi?", Aly immediately perked up and looked to Max "Evi home?", she asked and scurried past Max into the hallway, only to come back completely disappointed.

She immediately started crying again "Evi not home." she sobbed.

I picked her right back up "I know I messed up, ok?" I grumbled and walked into the living room with Aly in my arms, Max closed the apartment door and then followed us.

"No. Not ok. Why did you even come back into her life? Everything was fine until you showed up again!"

"Because I miss her.", I mumbled "And because I still love her and because I want her back. Max I bought a house because I wanted her to stay with me. It's her fucking dream house. At least that's what she always talked about when we were together. I would do anything to get her to come back to me. But it seems like I fucking suck at it. I can't even manage to take care of my daughter by myself. She only asked for Evi all the time. And fuck, I just want her to come back too."

"You just can't buy love," Max said, dropping down on the sofa next to us now.

"I know that.", I grumbled and lowered my eyes "I just wanted her to feel at home, because she obviously didn't here in the apartment. I just wanted her to be happy. And what happened? I've had the exact opposite effect. I just want her back. I want her to be with me again," I couldn't hold back the tears now.