ii. beginning... of the end

Start from the beginning

The girl—Piper—shook her head. "What's her problem? What's going on?"

"Seriously" The other boy—Leo—agreed.

"We have to get out of here" Butch said. "We'll explain on the way."

"I'm not going anywhere with her" Jason said, gesturing toward Cassandra. "She looks like she wants to kill me."

"Is that an invitation?" Cassandra asked from the chariot.

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Cassie's not that bad. Just cut her some slack, okay? She had this dream telling her to come here. It said that her problem would be solved if she found the guy with one shoe."

"What problem?" Piper asked.

"She's been looking for one of our campers, who's been missing for three days" Butch said. "She's going out of her mind with anxiety. She was hoping he would be here."

"Who?" Jason asked.

"Her... friend" Annabeth said, uncomfortably. "He's my friend too. His name is Percy Jackson."

╰┈ ⋆。˚ ❀ *· 🌬 ࿐ ࿔ ˚:⋆ ✧・゚

Eventually, everyone made it back to the chariot.

Piper, Jason, and Leo stood in the back, while Butch took care of the reins, and Annabeth adjusted a bronze navigation device.

Cassandra leaned against one of the walls of the chariot, her arms crossed. She glared at the sky as they rose over the Grand Canyon and headed east, the icy wind providing her with some comfort.

Behind them, more storm clouds gathered.

The chariot lurched and bumped, but Cassandra paid it no attention.

"This is so cool!" Leo exclaimed, spitting a pegasus feather out of his mouth. "Where are we going?"

"A safe place" Annabeth said. "The only safe place for kids like us. Camp Half-Blood."

Not the only safe place, Cassandra silently corrected.

"Half-Blood?" Piper questioned defensively. "Is that some kind of bad joke?"

"She means we're demigods" Jason said. "Half god, half mortal."

Cassandra bit the inside of her cheek, and studied Jason. "You know a lot" She noted blankly. "But yes... we're talking about demigods."

"My mom is Athena, goddess of wisdom" Annabeth explained, "Butch here is the son of Iris, the rainbow goddess."

Leo choked. "Your mom is a rainbow goddess?"

"Got a problem with that?" Butch said.

"No, no" Leo said. "Rainbows. Very macho."

Cassandra narrowed her eyes at him. She couldn't put her finger on the reason, but she didn't like him.

"And you?" Piper asked. "Who's your parent?"

Cassandra raised her eyebrows. "Khione."

"Who's that?" Leo asked.

She glared at him. "Goddess of ice and snow."

"Cassie's being modest" Annabeth cut in, sensing a brewing argument. "She's also a legacy of Aphrodite and blessed by Athena."