chapter 93: Transitioning pt. 1

Start from the beginning

Sam was looking at Sheldon in awe, "Coach, it is so good to have you back and in true form. Oh, my gosh. We got so much guy talk to catch up on that we never even got to do before. Like, uh, about me and Violet and how my mom wants us to have babies–"

Violet face-palmed as Coach Beiste stopped his rant, "You're fine, Sam. Take a breath, so you don't blackout on me."

Sue wrapped her arm around Sheldon and started walking with him while the couple followed shortly behind. Violet whispered, "Did you really have to mention that?"

"What? Do you not want that included in guy talk?"

Violet looked up to the ceiling as if to ask for help from a god she didn't know existed. "Someone, please let the discussions about putting a baby in my womb stop."

"Coach, I want you to know that I've taken steps to battle the scourge of cisnormativity and transmisogyny and some other terms I'd never heard of until I did a quick Wikipedia search this morning."

Beiste gave another knowing look to Violet who was falling into step with the older adults alongside her oblivious boyfriend. Sheldon replied to Sue, "Um, thanks, but I just want things to go right on back to normal, you know.

Sam interjected, "Oh! Good because I had this list of all these pronouns. I mean, you just tell me which one, and I'll enforce it. There's 'he,' there's 'it,' 'zhim,' 'ze' –"

Violet took the paper from his clipboard and crumpled it up as Sheldon replied, "I– I think 'he' and 'him' works fine."

Sue then turned to face the returning coach, "Now, as you know, I've always been quite vocal about my opposition to bullying in any form–"

"Unless it's by yourself," Violet muttered.

" –And I want you to know that I am here for you as a friend, ally, and, uh, shoulder to cry on. Metaphorically, of course, because you're a man now, and real men don't cry," Sue continued, not hearing Violet's remark.

Sheldon commented, "I gotta say, I'm impressed, Sue. I kind of figured someone would say somethin' or gawk at me funny or–"

Sue interrupted him, "Coach, you will be happy to know that McKinley High is now a fully gender-fluid high school. Okay, now, if you'll excuse me, out of the corner of my eye, I see a fatty, who could use a good healthy fat-shaming."

The older man then turned to the couple, "Ah, I should get goin' too. I have some return paperwork I gotta fill out now that I'm back."

Sam grinned at him, "Okay, but bro-talk later?" He then offered Sheldon a high-five which he took. "Yeah! That's some strength, huh?"

Violet then smiled at the older coach, "It's good to have you back, Coach. Wanna eat lunch with me and Sam? That way we can talk about appropriate topics of conversation." She gave her boyfriend a pointed look at that last statement.

"I'd love to, pumpkin," Sheldon agreed before leaving the couple.

When he was out of earshot, Violet slapped Sam's chest, "Ow!"

"Did that hurt?" Her eyes of frustration changed to worry.

He pouted, "No, but it looked like it did."

Violet sighed and rolled her eyes before asking, "What was that about? Bro-talk? The list of pronouns? You haven't bro-talked since, like, the Men of McKinley calendar shoot, and I already told you that Sheldon preferred he/him pronouns."

"Well, when I finished up with football practice, Sue was waiting and told me to be extremely welcoming and accommodating to Coach Beiste. Like, she wanted me to welcome him into the man club, so she told me to do all this stuff. I had to remember all of the different pronouns you told me about because Sue wanted to be absolutely sure we didn't make Sheldon uncomfortable even though I told her that he already told you about it, and you told me."