~Drei~

I grabbed my lunch tray tightly against my chest, staring angrily across the lunchroom to my usual table. I usually sat with the jocks and the cheerleaders, who had always welcomed me to the table before, but now I could see a fucking brick wall in my spot. Jay was sitting in my seat, laughing with one of my friends. He looked a little awkward, and that was the only good thing about it.

I looked around the table, searching for any other spots. One of them would leave to make room for me, but I didn't really want to sit by Jay. I rolled my eyes. Whatever. I adjusted my tray in my hands and wove around the line of students waiting for their meals in order to walk across the cafeteria to my usual table. 

"Hey," I said, standing behind a girl named Charlie. Charlie was leaning across the table, her green eyes ablaze with excitement as she dead stared at Jay. Jay met her gaze calmly, his steely gray eyes firm and unwavering. He didn't seem bothered by the girls, which was even more unfair. At least make him be uncomfortable. 

Charlie turned with a grimace on her face. Her eyes softened slightly when she saw me, but she didn't really look too excited. "Oh, hey Abe. This is Jay. He's from Germany," she added.

I nodded stiffly. "Yeah. I'm in your class."

Charlie frowned. "Oh yeah. Forgot," she said with a sheepish shrug. 

Jay looked up at me, leaning his chin on his hand. He arched one of his dark eyebrows and looked me up and down, his gray eyes traveling over my body. I felt hot, and shuffled my feet awkwardly. "Did you want me to leave? This looks like your spot," Jay said nonchalantly. 

"No!" A handful of girls yelled.

Charlie turned around and glared at me. "Go away, Abe. Jay's the new kid, and Mrs. Tuttle said to be nice to him. It isn't nice to kick people out of their seats. Go find somewhere else to sit."

Jay grinned at me while they were turned around. He'd known that he wouldn't be allowed to leave, and had only said that to embarass me. I glared at him icily. "Whatever. I'd rather eat with Marley anyways. Have fun," I said grumpily, turning on my heel and stalking over to the table in the corner, where Marley and a couple other outcats were sitting.

Marley perked up. "Abey! Come to sit with the cool kids?"

I sighed and set my tray down with a clatter. I couldn't believe that no one had stood up for me. I wasn't as close with them as I was with Marley, but I definitley knew them better than Jay did. They just left me standing there. They told me to leave. It was my table, it was my spot! How could Jay just take that over like it was no big deal?

I humphed as I plopped angrily down in the seat. "This is so stupid..." I growled. "They completely just shut me down. Can you believe that?"

Marley shrugged, nibbling at a poorly seasoned school french fry. "Kind of. Why?"

I sighed. "Gee, thanks. You make me feel so much better."

"I'm just here to help!" Marley chirped, slipping a forkful of my spaghetti off of my tray and onto her own, spattering sauce over the table. I grimaced and covered it with a napkin before it dried and stained the table. I glanced back over my shoulder, back to my table, and met Jay's gaze. I hadn't expected him to be looking over here, I figured he'd be too busy drowning in the attention of my freinds. But Jay was looking over at me, his eyes narrowed at Marley. He was gripping his fork, his knuckles whitening as he grasped it furiously. My eyes widened slightly, and I looked away. What could he possibly be so mad about?

Marley choked on the spaghetti she had stolen from me, doubling over as she hacked. I arched my eyebrow, unimpressed. She held up her hand, telling me to give her a few moments, as she wheezed into her napkin. I scoffed and flicked a loose french fry. It bounced off of her head and landed on her shoe. Marley wiped her watering eyes, her cheeks red as she straightened.

"Jesus, Marley, do you have to almost die every day?" I asked with a roll of my eyes.

Marley shrugged. "What can I say, I'm punctual!"

I twirled my fork in my spaghetti, the slimy noodles wrapping mesmerizingly around the prongs. I sighed and set the silverware down on my tray. I wasn't hungry anymore, my appetite had completely vanished. I just didn't understand why they were so quick to turn me away in favor of Jay. They'd only known him for a day, and they had already chosen him over me. If I had any sort of self-respect I'd leave them all, but I still wanted to have all my friends. I didn't want to just fade to the background- I liked being popular, no matter how much it confused Marley. 

I crossed my arms over my chest and pushed my tray towards Marley, who eagerly accepted the rest of my food and shoved it onto her own tray, then stacked them on top of each other. I rested my chin on my hand, glaring at the table.

"You look grumpy," commented Marley around a mouthful of french fries.

I glared at my shoes. "No shit."

Marley shrugged. "Come on Abey, it's not that big of a deal. They'll get bored of Jay eventually, and then you can be their friend again. Trust me, this'll pass quickly."