CHAPTER 32 - IVANA WILSON

Everything felt so weird last night. Seeing Ana and Megan together, something was off between them. There was an unspoken tension in the air, a palpable unease that hung between them like a thin veil. It was as if they were both hiding something. Or, at the very least, pretending that everything was fine.

Ana, usually vibrant and exuberant, had a forced smile on her face that didn't quite reach her eyes. Her laughter seemed hollow, lacking its usual warmth and genuine joy. Every now and then, her gaze would dart nervously towards Megan, only to quickly avert when their eyes met. There was an underlying anxiety in her movements, a subtle fidgeting that betrayed her attempt to appear composed.

On the other hand, there was Darren, who seemed to carry a perpetual air of melancholy around him. Or maybe it was his face. I can't quite understand his deal. He acted all void of emotions or feelings. Only one person could help me out here. I sprang out of bed and looked at my phone to check the time. It was 2 in the morning. I wasn't sure if Ash would be awake, but I thought of taking my chance.

I headed towards Ash's room, trying to keep my footsteps as quiet as possible. I didn't wanna wake anyone up. But something caught my attention. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow near the kitchen island. With my curiosity at its peak, I took my steps back only to discover Darren sitting alone. He was sitting alone, his eyes completely lost as he took a sip from his glass. His figure slouched slightly, shoulders hunched as if burdened by the weight of the world. It was almost sad to encounter him sitting like that. He looked all vulnerable. I have never seen him like this before.

A few seconds later, I caught him staring at me as I was lost staring at him.

"Did you want anything?" He asked, and I figured he was definitely drunk by the sound of his voice.

"No, I was just passing by."

"Umm.. okay. Good night then." He replied, which felt like he didn't want any company at the moment. Something was off.

"If I may ask, why are you sitting here drinking all alone." I couldn't resist asking him as I found myself walking towards him.

"No, you may not. That's none of your concern." He took a sip from his glass.

I could see the extent of intoxication in his eyes. Or it was some rage.

"Uhh.. okay. Are you sure? I'm here if you wanna talk."

"Don't you understand anything at once? It's like the office all over again. God, why did I even let Sarah finalize you for the job? You know what? It's not your fault. You are unable to change who you are, and I'm the one who should've known about this. You make me furious. I should've given it a thought. You and me together is a scary duet. Everyone around us warned me. But that's what I always loved about you. You always had that fierce charisma in you. You took out the best in me. You always had my back. But you know what? I hate you for leaving me, Celine. "

Celine? He's clearly not in his senses.

"Come on, big man. Enough with the drinking. Let me take you to your room." I took the glass from his hands and placed it on the island. I underestimated when I thought I could help him get up and take him to his room. He had quite a body. His biceps gave clear visibility of his daily workout. He resisted going with me at first, but I don't know how he gave up a few seconds later. Or maybe, he passed out. Good thing his room was on the same floor.

I opened his room's door, and it wasn't how I quite imagined it to be. Well, I did not imagine anything, but it didn't give the vibes of Darren I know. As I stepped further into the room, my gaze landed on a neatly made bed. The air held a palpable sense of mystery and uncertainty, as if the room itself held its secrets close, refusing to reveal the truth behind Darren. The room was adorned with neutral tones, minimalistic furniture, and a sense of order.

I helped Darren lay down on his bed and turned off the light as I closed the door behind me.

Heading towards Ash's room, I couldn't stop thinking about what Darren just blurted out drunk. It felt like he wasn't talking to me. He was clearly upset about something.

I knocked on Ash's door, and turns out, he was still awake.

"Hey, Ivie. What's up? What are you doing up so late? Everything alright?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you about something. And yes, I met drunk Darren on my way here."

"Drunk Darren?" Ash questioned, raising his eyebrows.

"Umm. Yes."

"Darren doesn't drink anymore. He quit drinking some time back"

"But I just saw him drinking, and I helped him to his room. Boy, he was not in his senses."

"That's strange."

"Well, I'll tell you something more strange. Or rather ask you. Who is Celine? He babbled out her name."

"Oh, man."