CHAPTER 29 - IVANA WILSON: "It's The Day"

The cold breeze streamed through my ears as I exited my apartment with a steamy latte in one hand, which I prepared and poured into my to-go sipper because I figured one more stop on my route to the office, and there goes my holiday if I'm late by even five minutes and my bag, keys and my suitcase in the other. I shoved my suitcase and bag in the trunk of my car. I think it was time to get this over with.

As soon as I pressed the start button, a message flashed on my mobile screen. It was Darren's. It said that his car was on the way to pick me up, which will then take us to his parent's house after the meeting. Wait. Why didn't he mention this earlier? I remember him making all kinds of excuses with this idea the other day, and now he is ready for us to go together.

"Well. You left me with no choice, but at least I thought you'd be considerate enough. I wasn't in my best thoughts regarding Thanksgiving, but thanks to you, Mr. Grace, for making this holiday a nightmare for me. Why don't you set up all the meetings on the same day? Oh, and yes, give Thea my regards as I don't think she'll want me there with a lame face and be there sulking all the time. As far as the presentation is concerned, I'll be there on time, sir. And maybe after that, beer from the bar across the street will be good enough to celebrate the night."

I guess I overreacted the other day. The emotions that I have been suppressing for a long time just burst out. I miss my mom. I miss my family together. I don't think this man understands the importance of family, love, and care.

A nice, white Toyota pulled over in front of me. The person in the front seat got out of the car and opened the gate for me. I gestured towards my luggage which I got out of my car. After adjusting my bags and being seated, we reached the office. I just grabbed my bag and headed towards the conference hall where, unfortunately, the only familiar face I saw was Darren's. I looked at my watch, and I was just there on time. Well, it wouldn't be my fault if I was late because of his stupid car.

I took out my flash drive and inserted it into the conference hall's system for the presentation. Within no time, the presentation ended, and the deal went smoothly. I didn't even have a single word with Darren until now. I was standing at the other end of the hall when I noticed him looking at me. He was taller than me, and his eyes were a beautiful green. I don't think I noticed him so closely before, except on the day I first met him. Maybe it was his chiseled jaw. Or his incredible cheekbones that made him more handsome than any guy I'd ever met. As he got closer, the air between us grew tense. I could feel it in my stomach. It was before he showed his true colors when I had a crush on him from the very first time I saw him. Now, he's just my pain-in-the-ass boss with an AI brain devoid of emotions and feelings.

"Let's go. Mom must be waiting for us. I'll just grab my bag, and then we shall leave.", Darren said as he came forward, to which I replied with a simple nod because I didn't know what to say, and arguing with him right then doesn't seem right. Plus, he already had enough the other day. So, I followed him to his car, where we just sat in silence. I'm not sure if he's just being quiet. I feel bad for the way I reacted to him, but it's hard to keep my mouth shut when his actions get me.

It was when we reached his place I realized how long the journey was. It was almost dinner time. Thea opened the gate before we could ring the bell and grabbed me in a hug. I'm sure the sound of the car stopping made her know that we were there. I always feel so welcome when I visit Thea. I walked into the house with Darren behind me and was greeted with a questioning look on Ana as well as Ash's face, but that changed into smiles within no time. They had questions in their minds, but they'll have to wait.

Everyone was already seated at the dining table, and it looked like they were waiting for us to arrive. I went up to Ana and hugged her tight as I could. Ash couldn't leave us alone and joined in. Group hug after a long time. For a moment, this felt like home. Being surrounded by people you love. I told them I'll join them back after changing and freshening up.

I went to the Guest room to freshen up and change into fresh clothes. The ones I was wearing stank from the travel. I joined them in the Dining hall and sat next to Ana.

"So we have just one more member to join us, and then we can start with our traditional dinner night.", Thea announced.

"Wasn't she supposed to get in early?", Darren asked, seeming genuinely worried.

"Yes, she was, but she got some work and missed her flight.", Warren replied.

"Who are we talking about here?", I whispered to Ana.

"Darren and Ash's cousin. They are pretty close to her. I haven't met her but heard a lot about her.", Ana answered.

"That's nice. I don't remember Ash telling me, but well, I didn't know much about his brother either, so that's alright, I guess."

"Yes. Let's see. By the way, Ash told me you had a meeting this morning. How was it?"

"I really don't wanna talk about it. I'm not a fan of working on holidays."

"Okay, we'll talk about it later."

We were having a small conversation just when the doorbell rang. Thea rushed to open the gate. A girl walked in with a great smile and striking brown eyes. She was almost Ana's height.

Ash got up from his seat and was all excited.

"Look, Who's finally here?"

It was then I saw a gaze on Ana's face. She looked shocked.

"MEGAN?"

She knew her.