CHAPTER 18 - IVANA WILSON: "Day In Washington"

Ana already left early for Boston, so it's just me in our apartment. I think I can complete packing my stuff by the afternoon, after which maybe I'll be able to make it home and join Shawn and dad for dinner. I thought it'd be a great idea to stay with them for a couple of days before moving to Washington. I called Shawn to let him know I'd be arriving home in the evening and I'd finished my packing.

Dinner was ready when I reached home. Dad never forgets to cook me my favorite whenever I go home. It was such a nice feeling to be home. Within no time, the weekend passed. We seemed to have barely finished our talks. Dad asked me to leave early for work tomorrow morning. Though, I said it would be better to leave now and double-check all my files. Shawn offered to drive me to my apartment, and I had no reason to deny it.

I'm not sure how I didn't wake up despite snoozing my alarms. I can't afford to be late that too on my first day at my new office. How the hell did this happen?

I leapt out of bed and dashed into the bathroom, grabbing a towel as I went. I turned on the geyser while I brushed my teeth. I soon undressed and got inside the shower. What the heck? Almost boiling water hit my back that left a searing feeling. I turned on the cold water knob, and after a quick shower, I rushed to my closet only to discover that I forgot to iron my pants. I quickly put on a pair of black unironed pants and a white blouse believing they were appropriate for the office. I grabbed my bag and locked the house, trying to book an Uber alongside. Uber is fifteen minutes away. Great. Let's start walking, and maybe I can be there in fifteen minutes instead of waiting for the cab. I ordered a latte for takeaway from the coffee shop on the way.

I reached the office ten minutes late. Great, I'm late for work on my first day. I entered the building and took the elevators for the fourth floor, where my office is. When I arrived, I spotted a familiar face at the reception. She was my boss's assistant, and we saw her during the awards night. She was packing stuff on the desk in a cardboard box. Is she leaving?

"Hey, I'm Ivana. It's my first day here.", I said as I walked down to her desk.

"Hi Ivana, I'm Sarah. I was waiting for you only. Let me show you around and explain your work before we meet Mr. Grace. ", she replied with a smile, sounding like she was in a hurry.

"This will be your cabin. It's directly attached to Mr. Grace's cabin. Here, take this iPad. It's yours. It has all the credentials you'll require for access to documents and other stuff. You'll receive a weekly mail on the weekend with a list of work for the upcoming week with deadlines. Since you'll be working as an assistant to Mr. Grace, you need to be extra careful regarding his appointments and schedule. He doesn't tolerate any late work. He fired three of my co-workers last month due to delay in work from their side.", she said.

"Don't worry. I know you'll do great here. Wait here. I'll see if Mr. Grace is free.", Sarah continued, sensing my anxiety when I attempted to fake a smile.

I stood there blank, even more anxious. Man, this is going to be tough.

"Mr. Grace will see you now. All the best.", Sarah said, giving me her biggest smile.

I went inside the cabin. It was enormous and well lit with natural light. I saw a man in a navy blue suit talking on the phone near the window in the left corner.

He turned to me as soon as the call ended.

"DARREN."