CHAPTER 14 - IVANA WILSON : "Last Day At College"

It's been almost two months and so much has happened since. Award function, Ash and Ana hanging out often plus most of all, we are graduating next week. I still can't believe today is our last exam and our last day at college.

I was waiting for Ana near the examination hall when I saw her coming, holding two cups of coffee.

"Thanks. It was much needed.", I said, while Ana handed me the cup of coffee.

"I know. Studying five hours straight last night made me feel lethargic.", she replied.

We had a few more minutes before our exam started, and everyone was busy revising a few key points before the exam, but mine and Ana's process of that were disturbed. When I looked after we heard a voice calling for Ana amongst the crowd. We instantly realised it was the professor's voice as he called out for Ms. Young. After craning our heads in the crowd and locating Ana's journalism professor, we made our way towards him. Finally, having Ana in his field of view, he asked her if he could have a word with her in his office after the exam, to which a very confused-looking Ana agreed, only to get nervous and panicked after he left. Trying to calm her, I stated that if she was in trouble, he wouldn't have waited till after the examination.

During the first hour of the exam, I receded on my chair, trying to recall Bronte and Austen's classics. I hardly concentrated on my English Lit assignments while developing my portfolio to be sent for the job in the company I wanted to apply to. The invigilator announced that only half an hour was left. I paced my writing and somehow managed to finish all the questions. I looked at Ana who was sitting on the backbench to which she responded to me with her giggle, which faded in a few seconds replaced by an anxious look.

Ana asked me to wait near the parking lot while she had a chat with her professor. I started scrolling through my emails when there was a notification on my phone. It was an email from Bourn and Gale Enterprises. I don't know, I suddenly started feeling nervous. With my hands trembling, I opened the email.

"Dear Ivana,

We're glad to inform you that your proposal has been selected. You have an excellent portfolio. You will work directly under the CEO. We look forward to working with you. You can join our Washington office on the first of next month.

Regards,

Board of Directors

Bourn & Gale Enterprises."

I'm over the moon but when I looked up, I saw Ana coming from a distance. Her face says that something was not right.

"Are we still going for drinks tonight?", asked Ana out of nowhere.

"Umm...Yes. If you want, we can postpone it.", I responded.

"No. Maybe it'll help.", she replied while getting inside the car.

I wasn't sure if I should ask her what happened in there. She'll tell me whenever she feels that way.

It was around six when the doorbell rang.

"Are you girls ready to go?", Ash said as soon as I opened the door.

I didn't reply but indicated to him to come in.

"What happened?"

"Ana."

"What happened to her? Is everything alright?"

"I don't know. She has been in her room ever since we came back home from college. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with her meeting with her Journalism professor."

"Did you try talking to her?"

I nodded yes in response.

Ash knocked on Ana's door and she got up and sat on her bed when we went inside. Ash sat closer to Ana and said, "Hey! What happened?" while hugging her.

"They have selected me as an intern at The Boston Globe but..."

"But you don't wanna go to Boston.", I completed her sentence.

"Congrats babe. I don't understand why you don't wanna go.", Ash replied.

"My parents live there. The last time I stayed with them was before I transferred to Columbia University.", Ana said.

"I understand there are some differences between you and your parents but do you wanna let go of this opportunity?", Ash replied. "It's your decision to make. I'll support whatever you choose. Plus, if you wish to take this, I'll come to meet you on weekends. That's how this works, remember? It's just a matter of three months.", he added.

I'm so delighted to see the understanding that these two have developed in two months. I am so happy for Ana that she moved on from her past and gave Ash a shot. They both suit each other.

"Do you girls wanna hang out or I'll order something?", Ash asked.

"Well, I too have something to share. I have been selected as an assistant to the CEO of the company in Washington that I applied to.", I said bluntly.

"That's great. Why didn't you tell me that before? We should definitely celebrate.", Ana said, sounding all cheerful.

"In that case, you girls get ready. I'll get the car. Treat is on me.", Ash said.

"Okay. Let's go.", I replied.