CHAPTER 10- IVANA WILSON

Dad made pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast just like mom used to make back when Shawn and I were in primary school. Soon after she left us forever while I was still in primary, dad tried his level best to take her place. He took early retirement and devoted all his life to our betterment.
“Good morning Ivie. I didn’t realise you were standing at the door. Slept well?”, Dad said, smiling, placing dishes on the kitchen island.
“Morning, dad. Morning, Ivie.” Shawn came from behind.
“Morning. Yeah, I slept well. Shawn, look. Dad made pancakes just like old times.” I sounded like an excited 10-year girl.
“Great. Dad, I am taking her shopping. So, I’ll call you in the afternoon and we can have lunch together. You can join us at the place where she wants to have lunch.”, Shawn said.
“Yes, that sounds great. We can go and have some Chinese.”, I said joyfully.
“I would love to, but I am meeting my old guys from the golf club for lunch. You guys go and enjoy. I’ll see you guys after you return from the function tonight.”, dad replied.
“Okay. Ivie, are you ready to go?”, Shawn asked.
“Yeah. I’ll just grab my bag and phone.”, I responded.

Shawn took me to one of those fancy boutiques on Fifth Avenue. The lady in the store greeted Shawn as if they were familiar. He introduced me to Lara, who was the owner of the boutique. I was looking around, and the store had an exquisite collection. I can’t wait to try on that Prussian blue bodycon dress hanging on the last rack.
“I’ve got some errands to work on. Lara can help you with the dress and other accessories. I’ll be back in an hour.”, Shawn said.
“Okay”, I replied with a pouty face.
“Hey, I want to try on that Prussian blue bodycon.”, I said to Lara who in the next moment brought me the dress to try on. I looked at myself in the changing room and that dress was looking just amazing. Okay, I don’t think I need to try any other dress. This one’s perfect.
As I walked out of the changing room, I asked Lara, “What do you think?”
“Look at you, you pretty gorgeous lady. This dress looks perfect on you. Wait, I guess I have a pair of stilettos and earrings that’ll suit your dress.”, Lara said while looking for them.

By the time I bought a silver shiny purse, earrings and stilettos along with that Prussian blue bodycon, Shawn was back.
“I see you are all ready for the function tonight. Do you need anything else?”, asked Shawn.
“No. I guess I’m done, just a little famished.”, I replied.
"Okay. Let's go and have lunch. Thanks for the help, Lara.", he said.
"Pleasure was all mine. I hope to get a visit from you again soon, Ivie.", Lara said.
"Sure.", I responded, and we exchanged smiles while leaving.

We had some Chinese for lunch, after which Shawn took me to Ralph's for ice cream. We ordered our regular triple scoop cone. It's been so long since Shawn and I spent time together having lunch and ice cream. It feels so satisfying and immensely pleasurable to hang out just like old times.

"Do you know about dad's plans for lunch?", Shawn's question caught me off guard.
"He said he's meeting his old friend. You were there when he told us this.", I replied, paying more attention to my ice cream.
"Dad is visiting Dr. Roff. They both have been seeing each other for the past two years ever since you left for University.", Shawn said while trying to lick his dripping ice cream.
"Dr. Roff as in Dr. Jannice Roff?", I was in a state of complete astonishment.
He responded by giving a nod.
"Woah. That's great. I just wonder why he didn't tell me about her.", I said, with mixed emotions.
"Ivie, you rarely come home after you went to college. So maybe he would have wanted you to tell this in person.", Shawn said.

We headed back home so that there was enough time to get ready for the function. Plus, it's good to be home.

I have known Jannice since I was in ninth grade, a few years after my mom's death. She was our neighbour back in Boston. She is a pretty middle-aged lady, and we got along very well back then. Jannice even accompanied me to my school whenever we had fetes and competitions. She used to care for me like her own and I secretly loved that. I am so happy for dad. He finally found happiness in his life. I know Jannice and Dad are perfect together. But I still wanna hear this from dad.