CHAPTER 17 - DIANA YOUNG : "Moving Out"

The previous three days have been incredibly tiring, having awoken from a very nice sound sleep after a very long time. After having everything shipped from my college apartment, I moved into my new apartment yesterday. I resided with my parents over the initial part of the moving process, which was convenient because it was less chaotic. Also, I had a place to stay without having to worry about meals.

We also had the opportunity to discuss our issues as a family, something we never did when I was in college. They wanted my ultimate goal to be my career, and they thought that any distraction would derail it. But they finally realized that I would never allow that to happen since I appreciate them for working so hard to provide me with the finest. But now I feel we're making progress. It's a lot, so it'll take some time, but the fact that we're working on it makes me feel better and happier.

I picked up my phone to call Ash but stopped after realizing that he might still be sleeping. He returned late last night after helping me in settling into my new apartment. Having him here was a blessing not just because I don't know when we'll get to meet again, but also because I had him do all the heavy lifting even though he was doing it anyway. So I just dropped a text instead and asked him to call me when he wakes up.

Ivie was constantly sending me snaps of her packing things up in our old college apartment. She decided to stay with her family until then, so she was packing everything up in advance for it to get shipped directly to her Washington apartment. Replying to her snaps, I eventually got up to get ready and have something to eat and then think about how my day was gonna look. I had nothing to do today as I was starting my internship tomorrow.

After these hectic days, a long warm bath felt like pure bliss. After changing into my bathrobe and exiting the shower, I went to the kitchen to prepare a meal for myself. Now that I'll be earning for myself and will have to focus on saving and budgeting, my constant desire for take-out will have to stay on the down-low. I added grocery shopping to my to-do list after fishing up some scrambled eggs and toast because my pantry was practically empty apart from the eggs, milk, bread, and some essential spices that my mom had given me the last time I was there. Finishing up the last of my meal and proceeding to wash the dishes I see my phone screen lit up. It was my mom's. She invited me to come over for dinner because she was unsure when we would all have the opportunity to do so once my internship began, and because I had just tried my hand at cooking, I leapt at the chance of good home-cooked food.

I took my purse, making sure it included my wallet, and closed the front door to begin working on my to-do list. I chose to walk because my errands for work were on the way, and to take a cab from the boutique where I had given my work blouse to be altered, which was the last thing on my list, to my parent's house for dinner.