37 - Mentions of a ball?

Previously:

He began reading again and I smiled up at him as he did so. I laid my head on his chest, under his arm as he held the book above me. I tried to stay awake, but with his soft, calming voice reading the words with ease, I quickly felt myself drifting off. I grinned one last time as I saw him look at me. I felt his breath close to my face, but I was so tired I couldn't register it until he had kissed my forehead and sent me off into a deep sleep.

——————————————————————------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had woken up to the sound of a thump at the window. I looked around and noticed Severus was no longer there. I walked over to the window and let the owl in, grabbing the letter from its hold. I figured since he had told me everything already, I had no reason to read the letter. It was likely a reply from that Melanie person, anyway. I could be jealous, but where's the fun in having no surprises?

I put my robe on, fixed my hair, and set the letter on the counter before exiting his chambers. It was still about 10 minutes before students should be waking up, so hopefully I was to be in the clear. As soon as I figured I was, I saw Amelia staring at me from the door of the Slytherin common room. 

Oh, Merlin. This would not go well. Maybe I could make an--

"Y/N. Don't bother making an excuse, I saw you go in there yesterday, and you didn't come out!"

I panicked as my eyes widened and I stuttered all over the place trying to figure out what I could say. We are in big trouble if anybody else finds out about this.

"Oh, get the look off your face. You are my sister; your secret is safe with me. As long as you get me food on the way home from Hogwarts." she winked at me and smiled widely. I rolled my eyes at her but nodded hesitantly. "Lia, you must understand--nobody could know about this, I could be expelled, and he sent to Azkaban--and what if-"

"Y/N! Breathe. Nobody will know. But honestly, you think you'd be a bit more careful with everything hanging in the balance like that. Just don't let Draco find out. He can't keep a secret for nothing."

I released a breath of air and nodded. She began walking, so I followed after her. We made it to the Great Hall where all of the professors had already been sat at their table. She pulled me to the Ravenclaw table and sat in her usual seat, me being across from her. She looked over at the professors, who were talking to each other, then looked back at me smiling widely. "So...I heard there is a big announcement today. I really hope it is something fun. With classes being cancelled, Luna and I have had to make our own riddles!"

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "You and Luna probably do that even with classes." she smiled back at me and nodded. "Yes, but we made tons more last night! You got to hear one, listen. What is easy to lift, but hard to throw?"

I thought for a moment before somebody else replied from behind me. "A feather." I turned around and spotted Dumbledore hovering over us. "Oh, good morning, Headmaster!" Amelia was quick to reply. He smiled at her and looked back down at me. "Y/N, I would like to speak to you about something after breakfast, make sure to meet me in my office."

I nodded and then looked back at Amelia, who was as confused as I was. "Is this about your chaperone?" I stared at her with a raised eyebrow, "How did you know about that?" she smirked and giggled as if it was obvious. "You have teachers following you around all the time. I figured they didn't do that willingly. I sure would not."

"Okay, bit rude. And I do not know what it is about. I am just as confused as you are."

She shrugged and the door opened, students began coming in, so I stood up to go to my table. Amelia smiled at me and made a snarky comment just before I walked away. "Just remember to use protection." 

I rolled my eyes and sat at my own table. Draco came in and stuck his tongue out at me as he went to sit with Amelia. I huffed and slammed my head down on the table. "How could I have gone from popular to having no friends at all?"

"Perhaps it is because you spend all of your time in a dark hallway." I turned around and noticed Severus standing behind me. I looked around and saw nobody else at the table, which was weird since all of the other tables were full. I assume he caught wind of how confused I was, because he sat down next to me and began explaining. "Today is the Slytherin trip to Hogsmeade. I suppose you did not sign up for that?" 

I shrugged and slumped my head back onto the table. "No, I did not. Apparently, everybody else did, though...".

I heard him stifle a giggle as I looked back over at him, my head still rested on the table. "You know...maybe you should go anyway? If you are so worried about not having friends, a trip may get you acquainted with more students." he looked down at me as if what he was saying was completely obvious.

"You must not understand. I had many friends. I just don't get what happened." I paused when I noticed Draco coming over to the table. "Hello... Professor Snape. What have you done now, Y/N?" I scoffed and threw a pencil at him. He laughed and then stared awkwardly, "So... the Yule Ball is coming up, are you taking anyone?" he finished his sentence and immediately Severus stood up and walked away from the table. I got a bit upset at this since we were still in the middle of a conversation. Draco shrugged and sat down on the opposite side of the table, waiting for my reply.

"I don't think so... I don't have anybody I am even interested in." Of course, I lied there. What was I meant to say? I want to take Severus? Good joke. 

"Oh, nonsense! You could take anyone really, you are Quidditch Captain and Prefect. Anybody would be happy to be seen with you." he finished his sentence proudly as I just sat and though for a moment. He was right...but I don't want just anyone. I don't want somebody to want me for their reputation. What kind of relationship would that be?

"Err, no. I probably will just be at the refreshments table if you need me." he laughed and nodded. "Whatever you say. Just make sure you don't meet any weirdos over there...like the Weasley's...EUGH!" I rolled my eyes, and he stood up and walked back over to Amelia.

--TS--

I stepped into Dumbledore's office after I had left breakfast. He smiled at me from behind his desk as he offered me a seat. I declined and preferred to stand.

"Good morning, Y/N. I know you are wondering what brings you into my office this morning..."

I nodded and he dropped his smile, worrying me even further. 

"I have been alerted to a situation between you and a professor I hold in very high regard." my eyes widened, and I coughed, not sure if he was talking about what I think he was. He sat there silently for a moment. I wasn't sure whether he was trying to intimidate me or calm me down. Neither one was working. I was scared out of my wits. He cleared his throat, noticing I was shifting awkwardly.

When he spoke up next, I nearly fainted.

I left his office and immediately ran to Severus' room. Was this dumb? Very. Was I smart? No.

I didn't even bother to knock; I just slammed the door open and shut it behind me. I quickly turned toward him as he stared at me like I was insane.

"He knows."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:3

Hope I didn't scare you TOO bad in this chapter. Just wait until the next one ;)

Have a good night/day/afternoon!!! and TYSM for continuing to read. it makes me so so happy <3 :) ly all