7 - Avoidance

I stopped just outside of Snape's classroom, backing myself up against the wall, right beside the door. I slid onto the floor, allowing my knees to rest against my chest. I grabbed a book that I had brought to dinner. I read over the cover. "Saving Grace". I ran my hand over the title gently, feeling every bump of the word. I opened to the prologue, following the words with my finger. I jumped slightly, hearing somebody speak suddenly. "What are you doing outside my classroom?" I looked up, seeing the dark man hovering over me. I cleared my throat gently, closing the book and standing up. "Sorry, sir."

He tilted his head and moved to the side to let me into the room. I obliged, finding my way into the class and sitting down at the front desk. He followed behind me, stopping in front of me. "Do you plan on telling me why you were sitting on the floor?" I shook my head no, opening my book again and going back to where I had left off. He sighed gently, walking around his desk to sit down.

I glanced at him quickly, noticing him staring back. I looked back down at my book, avoiding his gaze. "Miss Conway." I hummed in response, still refusing to look back at him. "You told him." This caused me to direct my attention to him, raising my eyebrows. "Yes." I continued to read my book, following it with my finger as I normally did.

There was a sudden silence, it wasn't awkward, but rather calming. I had gotten really into my book and didn't hear the door open until I noticed the professor stand from his desk to greet the other person. I didn't dare turn around. I couldn't bear to see if it was Draco or Amelia. "Y/N?" I heard Luna call out from the back of the room. I turned to look at her. I wondered if she knew as well. The tone of her voice told me she did know something; I just was not sure what.

"Are you alright? Why didn't you meet me after dinner?" I glanced at Snape, who was focused back on me. I then looked to Luna. "I needed to speak with the headmaster." She nodded, slightly frowning. "Right, well..." She paused, as if she was afraid to say anything with the towering man who was staring down at her. "I will see you tomorrow. Do find me in the morning, please." I flashed her a fake smile to which she returned a genuine one and turned on her heal, leaving the room quickly. 

"I'm sorry." I spoke up, which confused the professor who was now making his way back to his desk. "For?" I looked down at my desk, avoiding eye contact. "I seem to have been dragging you into this. Two people have shown up now." He sat down at his desk, going back to checking papers. "Not to worry." I nodded, smiling slightly. He didn't mind. 

"I do hope you know that you will need to return to your dorm shortly. Lights will be going out in around 5 minutes." I didn't say another word, just got back into my book. I must have gotten too into it again, as a few moments later I felt a small tap on my shoulder. I looked up, catching eyes with Snape. "I have allowed you to remain here for an extra 15 minutes past curfew. I will now need to escort you to your dormitory." I nodded slowly, surprised he let me stay for longer than I was allowed. 

I began to follow him out of the room, once we had gotten into the hallway, we both noticed Filch walking back and forth down the corridor. I looked at the professor worriedly, he looked back at me without an emotion on his face before turning back toward Filch. He continued to walk beside me until we reached the hunched over Filch. He looked at me quickly and went to speak before Snape cut him off. "I got this one." Filch nodded slowly and continued on. I quietly thanked the professor, and we started walking again. 

Finally making it to the Slytherin Common Room, he dropped me off and I thanked him again, watching him walk off before I entered the room. I noticed Draco sitting on the couch and quietly snuck past him on my hands and knees. I looked like a dog. I made it to my private dorm and sat on the bed. I looked over at my owl, Panini, before drifting off to sleep, still in my robes.