16 - Quidditch Results

This one is short, but I plan on uploading another one tonight anyways. Plus this one is good 😏. Enjoy!

—————————————————————————

The next morning I woke up, painfully rubbing at my forehead, which now happened to be the source of a thumping sensation. No, I couldn't be sick. Not today. It's an important day. It's the day we announce the new Quidditch team players. I must make it to breakfast. I got up slowly, forcing myself to push up out of bed. I got ready as fast as I could manage to do so, rushing out of my dorm and toward the Great Hall. I was early, surprisingly.

I had gotten there before most of the other students. I walked into the room, noticing Draco sitting at the end of the Slytherin table, where we normally sat. I smiled and went to join him before I was stopped. "Y/N, dear." I turned to meet Professor McGonagall smiling at me. "Madam Hooch would like you to announce the new players for each team at the start of breakfast."

I raised my eyebrow, "Each team? All of them?" She nodded kindly. "She believes you are the best fit for it. You also got here early, so it was pretty convenient."

I nodded and agreed to do it. I shrugged to Draco, who just gave me a thumbs up as I followed behind Minerva. "Come, come. I will set up the stand for you to make the speech. On the podium sits the list of students you need to announce for each house." I smiled and walked behind the podium, feeling nervous. I turned around to look at Minerva, who gave me a genuine smile. I then looked to the other teachers. Hagrid gave me a small bow, Trelawney smiled at me with her kind stare. I then looked over at Snape. He looked back at me with no emotion. It really didn't help my nervousness.

He was the only one I truly wanted to hear from.

I opened my mind, letting him read the thought as he slowly tilted his head. I felt my cheeks start to heat up and I turned around quickly. Focusing my attention on the now full room of students. I noticed nobody was looking at me, I began to panic before I heard a loud voice boom from beside me.

"SILENCE!" Dumbledore. I jumped from the loud tone of his voice and he gave me an apologetic look. "Miss Conway has a very important announcement to make. I will insure you treat her with the same respect you treat me with." He then looked back at me, patting me on the shoulder before he went back to his seat.

I took a deep breath, stepping closer to the podium.

"I have the results of the Quidditch tryouts for each house." The Great Hall reacted with cheers and smiles before it slowly regained the silence. I smiled, being in charge made me feel special. "Firstly, Hufflepuff." They all clapped before I spoke up again.

"The captain of the house, Cedric Diggory, has given a few names of new students he will request to join the Quidditch team." They began cheering again, a few people slapping Cedric on the shoulder.

"Madeline Oars, Penelope Watson, Rachel Smith, Alexander Miller, Grayson Martinez and lastly, Lee Davis." The Great Hall began to cheer for the new team members. I smiled, applauding to them myself.

"Next, Gryffindor. Taylor Harris, Grant Clark, Ethan Perez, George Weasley and Fred Weasley." Cheers erupted once again.

"Ravenclaw. Adam Carter, Grace Baker, Karen Moore, Alyssa Lewis, Steven Robinson and John Brown."

"Lastly, Slytherin." I paused to smile, taking in extra air before I began again. "Aarush Singh, Liu Wang, Joshua Sites, Ariel Washington, Lily Green and Draco Malfoy. Thank you."

The Great Hall cheered for the last time, applauding everybody that had made it, and cheering up the people that hadn't. I was proud of Draco, he really deserved it, he was a great player. I backed away from the stand, turning back to face the teachers again. Minerva gave me a smile of assurance, as did Dumbledore. Hagrid gave me a clap, and Trelawney reached out for an air hug. I gave her an air hug back and then turned to Snape. He was still staring at me, but this time he had a slight sparkle in his eye, I couldn't tell what it was, but I knew it was good. I smiled proudly and walked back down to my seat across from Draco.

I pat him on the back as I move to sit in my seat. "Congratulations, Draco." He smiled, just in time for me to hear a voice in my mind.

Great execution, Conway.

I immediately knew who it was, and when I turned to him he was looking back at me. I felt my heart flutter and then frowned. I couldn't feel this way for him. He was my professor.

Even if we were soulmates.

I quickly looked away after letting him in, I knew it was a mistake as soon as I thought it. He was going to have me expelled. I began to feel my heart race as I stood from my stool. "I must leave." Draco raised his eyebrow but I stormed out before he had the chance to comment. Right as I opened the exit door I heard another thought.

Wait, don't go.

I ignored it and kept walking. I didn't know where I was headed, I just knew I needed air.

I ended up going to the astronomy tower, where I usually found myself in times of stress. I began to breathe heavily and tried to part my lips to suck in more air. My heart was racing and I began to sweat. This couldn't be happening. I'm going to get kicked out of school. Why did I have to go and tell him? You're an idiot, y/n. I shook my head, laughing at myself in between my sharp breaths. I heard the door open and mentally cursed myself for not locking it behind me. I turned around and noticed Hagrid standing at the entrance. Thank Merlin it was only him.

I let one tear escape my eye as he moved closer. He frowned with sympathy and placed his hand on my back. I found my way to a bench and sat on it, Hagrid following suit and sitting next to me. "What's wrong there, y/n?" I began puffing, trying to settle my breathing. He faced me more and rested his arms on my shoulders, forcing me to focus on him. "Deep breaths. In...out. Do it with me now." He began to breathe deeply and I copied him as best I could. We did it 5 times and my breathing had started to calm down.

"Now, explain to me what happened."

"Hagrid, you have to promise me you won't tell anybody. I trust you with this. You're the only one I trust." He nodded softly, "I'll try my best."

"I think I found my soulmate."

His eyes softened and he smiled at me. "Well that's great, then isn't it? Did you try kissing 'em to be sure?" I shook my head no and he furrowed his eyebrows, staring back at me. "Well why not? Only way to find out."

"I can't. My soulmate is... um."

He tilted his head, listening intently. "Well go on then, your secret is safe with me."

"It's Severus."