35 - Haunted by the Past

Previously:

Once I had finished every room. I walked back to the bedroom and picked the note back up. I carried it with me to the living room and sat it on his table, under a book I knew he read often. I also decided to sit something of mine there, so he would know I read it. He has to talk to me sometime. I didn't have anything to put, other than my wand. I would have it back tomorrow anyway, as potions was my first class. I sat it on top of the book and left his chambers. Who knew when he would be arriving back.

I walked back to my common room and flopped onto my bed. Everybody else was already in theirs, so I had no problem getting in quietly. I felt my eyes shudder closed.

——————————————————————

Once I had woken up, I noticed Draco hovering at the door frame. "What are you doing, you psychopath. Get out of here, I need to change." He laughed and left the room. I got up and got ready for the day, putting my clothes on with my robe over it. I furrowed my eyebrows as I went to grab my wand, seeing it wasn't where it usually was. I looked around a minute before I huffed. "DRACO!" He came rushing back in and looked at me with worry.

"What is it? You nearly scared me off the astronomy tower!" I giggled and then pointed at my table. He looked at me like I was crazy. "What are you on about? There is nothing there, Y/N." I rolled my eyes and walked toward him, slapping him on the shoulder. "Of course not you bumbling idiot. My wand is missing!" he held his arm and pouted before helping me look for a few minutes.

"Sorry, Y/N. But I don't think it's in here. Maybe somebody stole it. You should report it to Dumbledore at breakfast. Come on, let's go." he grabbed my arm and dragged me off toward the Great Hall. As we sat down, I looked over at the professor's table. When I saw Severus looking back at me, I remembered where I had left my wand last night. I should feel like an idiot right now, but I was too busy trying to decipher the look he was giving me. He looked upset, confused and relieved? But how could you be all three of those things at once?

I looked down at my bracelet which was swirling with different colors. I had never seen it do that before. Apparently some others had noticed it as well, because Draco was now pointing at it and talking loudly. "Woah! Look at your bracelet!" Some kids around us began murmuring about it and spreading the word. I huffed at Draco and hide it under my robe sleeve. "Merlin, Draco! Don't you know how to keep your mouth shut?" He smirked and shook his head no. I rolled my eyes as he began eating again.

I looked back up at Severus who was now speaking to Minerva. That was another person I should probably speak to soon. I tried to eat, but couldn't find my appetite, so I drank the pumpkin juice instead. After breakfast had subsided. I walked with Luna to Advanced Potions class. We found a seat next to each other, since the other students were a mix of older kids, and a few smart younger students.

Everyone was speaking to each other quietly until the door flew open and everyone went silent. Severus came rushing in with his cape flowing behind him, as usual. Nobody said a word until he spoke up. "Class is cancelled. Do the staff a favor and head back to your common rooms instead of roaming the halls. We do not need anymore accidents."

I raised my eyebrow and looked at Luna, who was also confused. Everybody sat for a moment, wondering if this was some kind of test. "Are you all hard of hearing? Get out." This caused everybody to begin packing their things and exiting the room. I turned to Luna and told her I would meet her outside. She nodded, smiled at me, then left the room. I packed everything slowly so I could make sure I was the last in the room. I walked up to his desk and stood there quietly, waiting for him to do or say something.

"Can I do something for you?"

I looked at him confusedly and nodded. He wasn't even looking at me. Did he even know who was in front of him? "Well, I was hoping you had my wand?" He stopped what he was doing and looked up at me. He sat silently for a few seconds. We stared at each other for what felt like forever until he finally reached into his desk and handed me the wand. "Thank you..."

For a moment, I was hoping he would have said something else. For a moment, I was begging him to stop me from leaving. For a moment, I was being incredibly irritable.

Or at least I thought.

"Y/N..."

I paused from walking out and turned back toward him. "Hm?" He waited a moment before responding back to me. "Go to my chambers. I will meet you there in a minute."

I nodded hesitantly. What if somebody saw us? I pushed the thought to the back of my mind. I had gotten exactly what I asked for. He had stopped me. So why am I so reluctant to meet him?

I walked out of the room, mentally cursing myself when I saw Luna waiting for me. "Oh, Luna." She smiled widely at me and waved. I smiled back. Her happiness was also so contagious. She could make anybody feel better at any moment. Oh, how I wish I could've been her.

I walked over to her and she grinned before it quickly turned to a frown. "Very sorry. But I forgot Neville wanted me to meet him quickly. I just wanted to wait here so I could tell you before I left." I nodded gratefully. Thank Merlin. She skipped off happily. I watched her turn the corner and rushed toward Severus' chambers once I saw nobody in the hallway. I had made it safely inside. I sat my stuff on his kitchen counter and stood anxiously. I wonder what he had wanted. What if this is about the note? Or about me hiding out in his apartment? Or...both.

The door opened and he looked at me before turning to close and lock it. I raised my eyebrows at him. He had never done that before. He turned back toward me and hung his robe on a hook before he walked over to his couch, ushering me to follow. I hesitantly stumbled after him, tripping over a blanket that was strewn on the floor and falling into his lap. I mentally cursed myself and was fairly certain my face was as red as 1/7th of the rainbow. I quickly sat up and mumbled an apology whilst he just sat there with an amused look on his face.

He cleared his throat and finally spoke. "Y/N. I think you should know a few thi—"

I abruptly stopped him by blurting out my most prominent thought at the moment. "Who is Melanie?"

He stared back at me before sighing. He got up and set the fireplace, turning it on and walking back over to sit back down. "She is an old colleague of mine. We had worked together when I first started teaching at Hogwarts." I nodded before going to speak, but he started again, so I listened. "I did not want you to find out this way...I do not even know how you had gotten in here last night. But I feel you have the right to know the very important information for which I am about to bestow upon you.

I gulped and nodded nervously. It seemed incredibly serious and whatever it was, it even made him nervous. He explained to me that he used to work for Voldemort, but had stopped when the famous Harry Potter had gotten his mark and the Dark Lord lost his powers. Whilst he was explaining everything, I sat there listening intently. Partly wanting to run away, and partly wanting to never leave him no matter what he could put on me.

Before I could say anything in response, he lifted his sleeve to reveal a dark mark...taking everything I thought I knew about him, and crushing it with a giant rock.