27. Chit-Chat

-Arie-

Caleb's moms bathroom is huge and pristinely white. The theme is marble, chrome, and white making everything seem brighter. It's exactly what Gods bathroom would look like.

There is a huge three sheeted bay window that overlooks a huge tub that you have to climb two marble steps to reach.

I lift my phone up and turn it so Bryce can see.

He immediately gasps, "You better hurry up and marry Caleb."

I huff, "Why is that?"

"I cannot believe I know a twenty year old who owns not one but two mansions. Will you adopt me once you've guys get married?"

I scoff as reply while I walk over to the insanely fancy vanity. I pop the socket on the back of my phone and position it so Bryce can still see me before flicking the light switch next to me. Every delicate bulb that encircles the mirror comes to life making the entire bathroom luminous.

"So what's up with the number change?" Bryce asks as I busy myself opening drawers and cabinets.

To my surprise each storage space is packed with all types of things. It's as if the woman of the house just stepped out. It's eerie.

So many fancy bottles of oils, perfumes, lotions. There's even makeup in the drawers. All types of name brands I recognize- Chanel, Dior, and many more.

I pick up a bottle of Dior perfume and open the lid. I inhale deeply and to my surprise it isn't degraded.

"What the heck?" I say as I take a deeper whiff.

"What?" Bryce asks as I reach for the bottle of Chanel.

"How long does perfume last before it starts to degrade?"

"I don't know. Doesn't it depend on how expensive it is?"

"I guess but I don't think it lasts more than a few years even then. Caleb's mom has been gone a decade but none of her things are degraded."

"What things?" He asks as I open a Chanel compact.

"Her makeup. Most of it looks brand new." I ask as I pop the top off a gold tube of lipstick to find that it's brand new. I reach over towards my phone so Bryce can see too.

"That is so weird." Bryce reiterates my exact thought.

"Could the staff...

"What? Replace her things when it gets old?" He offers.

"Is that crazy?"

"For you to think or for them to do?"

"Both?"

"Yes." He answers and I frown.

"Her closet is full of clothes, it's as if she's still here." I mutter mostly to myself as I continue to go through her things.

"Rich people?" Bryce offers as means of explanation.

"I don't know how to feel about this." I say as I open the closet.

I locate a blow dryer, sets of curlers, and flat irons that are practically brand new. I collect a few and walk them over to the mirror.

"Is it wrong to use these things?" I ask Bryce as I arrange them neatly against the marble countertop.

"How? It's in your future ex husbands house." I put my hand on my hip and raise a brow at him.

"What?" He asks innocently.