Last Krampus

Chapter Thirty- Six!

Last Krampus

23rd of December 2019- Los Angeles

The lounge was dimly lit and cosy, there was a Krampus tree decorated with red lights in the corner of the room. Red and gold paper chains hung from the ceiling, there was mistletoe hanging in the open doorway. The fireplace was roaring and a holly runner had been draped over the mantelpiece, there was candles burning brightly in their holders. The scent of cinnamon and apple cookies lingered in the air. The coffee table had been laid out with festive snacks and hot beverages on coasters, a half eaten box of chocolates sat on top of a pile of folders. The evening was comfortable at the Ministry, the unfestive holiday was creeping ever closer.

Sister was sitting on the couch with a thick blanket covering her legs, she was going through some last minute paperwork. Papa Nihil was sitting on his favourite armchair, his eyes closing now and again he was dozing his evening away. Albany was nursing a hot chocolate and watching random festive movies between checking her watch, it was getting dark outside. It was almost 8pm, they were patiently waiting for Cardinal Copia's arrival at the unholy church. The last part of his European tour had now ended, the next tour was being planned for next yet. He deserved a long break after his constant year of touring with his ghouls. Taking a sip of her hot beverage Albany kept her gaze on the television set, but Sister's voice was soon heard. Their was concerns in her words, she was worried about her little Cardi.

" Copia should be home by now, his flight landed at the airport over two hours ago." Sister said before she closed the file. " I will give the chauffeur a call, they could be stuck in traffic."

" Maybe the boy got lost on the way home, it would be a Krampus miracle if that happened." Papa said.

" Oh Papa..." Sister sighed.

" The Cardinal's flight could have been delayed in Europe, it's happened to me more than once when I use to visit Italy." Albany said, her gaze met with her superior's blue eyes. " I'm sure he's fine, he will be home before we know it."

" Stinking out the Ministry and crashing his tricycle into the chapel's doorway has always..." Papa grumbled.

" Hush, Papa!" Albany sighed before she glanced at her Father. " I bet he and his ghouls are fine."

" You're probably right, I'm worrying over nothing." Sister said.

" I'll go and make a fresh pot of coffee." Albany said while she placed her mug on the coffee table. " I'll stay up with you until he gets home, it's no trouble."

" Thank you, my dear." She said.

" You should retire for the night, little one." Papa said, his feature were stern. " You don't have to wait up for him, but if Sister wants company I will stay with her until the Cardinal returns home."

" It's still early, Papa." Albany said with a sigh. " I'll get us some more coffee and unfestive cookies, I won't be long."

" Fine, fine!" Papa said.

Albany looked at Sister Imperator before she got to her feet, they both knew that Papa Nihil didn't like her hanging around Copia. There had been the odd occasion when they had been left alone together in his office, their closeness around the unholy church had been noticed lately. Nihil's protective strike over his only living child was getting worse, he made sure she accompanied him and his young assistances around the Ministry if he left his office these days. Talking the wooden tray from the coffee table Albany left the lounge, she then walked down the hallway.

The hallways of the Ministry were silent, the Clergy employees were now taking their holiday leave until the New Year. The unfestive decorations hung freely in the hallways and mistletoe had been wrapped around the main stairway's banisters this year, the scent of frankincense incense sticks drifted along every hallway. Entering the kitchen the light was already turned on and the refrigerator's door had been left open, there was a chill in the air. Albany closed the refrigerator's door with her shoulder and placed the tray on the counter side, she had no idea who kept leaving the refrigerator's door open. There had been rumours floating around about ghostly activities going on at the unholy church, but some employees said Papa Nihil was getting forgetful. They had seen the elderly Papa mumbling to himself in the hallways and speaking out loud to an unseen presence in the chapel, his peculiar behaviour was raising concerns within the Clergy.