Blow Out The Candles, Make A Wish

Chapter One!

Blow Out The Candles, Make A Wish

29th of May 1998- The Italian Ministry 

Life carried on has normal at the Italian Ministry, the work days began and ended. Albany still remained at her Father's unholy church, she had extended her visit for another five weeks. She was undecided about returning to California. She had watched the video tape more than once, she had analysed everything single part of the camera footage in case she had made a mistake. The letter was hidden in a shoe box with the video tape, she had kept the contents of the parcel to herself. She couldn't stop thinking about Copia, he would be wondering where she was since she was meant to have returned back to the Ministry over a month ago. She hadn't been in touch with anyone in Los Angeles, but her Father had informed her Brothers about her extended visit.

Albany was sitting at the kitchen table, it had just turned 4pm. She was nursing a cup of coffee and reading one of the books from Primo's private collection by candlelight, her legs were pulled to her chest. Her chin resting on her knee her gaze remained on the book, she took a sip of her coffee. She was dressed in an oversized black jumper which she had stolen from Terzo's room, she felt cosy and comfortable. She was trying to keep herself occupied, she had been spending most of her days alone. Her Father had been supporting her as best as he could between his Papa duties, he was a busy man. He was unaware of her love situation back in Los Angeles, his support only went so far. Turning a page in the book Albany continued to read it, she was reading The Juniper Tree. It was one of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales, the story was gory and full of revenge. Her thoughts were soon disturbed by footsteps entering the kitchen. Looking over at the doorway her gaze was greeted by two familiar faces, it was her Father and his favourite ghoul. The ghoul had a cake and a vase of flowers in his hands, his green eyes looked bright and happy. Her Father's voice soon broke the silence of the room, his speaking tone was cheerful and loud.

" Happy Birthday!"

Albany stared blankly at her Father and the ghoul, she had been too wrapped up in her own problems to think about her birthday. Nihil clicked his fingers, his favourite ghoul immediately approached the table and placed the vase of lavender flowers on the table top. He took the book from in front of her and replaced it with a cake on a stand. He backed away from the table and stood silently, his Papa approached his youngest child. She turned her attention towards the cake before her, it looked delicious. There was three layers of chocolate sponge and vanilla mascarpone spread between them. Maraschino cherries and dark chocolate curls topped the dessert, cherry syrup was drizzled down it's sides. It was a dark chocolate genoise. It seemed like the ghouls had been busy preparing her a birthday cake, they were skilled in the catering department. She returned her gaze towards her Father, there was a smile on his face.

" Are you not going to blow out the candles?" He asked.

" There's no candles on the cake, Papa." She replied.

" Honestly, the ghouls had one job!" He grumbled.

" It's fine, I'm getting too old for birthday candles anyway." She said.

" Nonsense, you're only... only." He said.

" I'm twenty-three." She said.

" I knew that, but still!" He said.

" I'll blow out one of the table candles if it makes you happy." She said.

" Good idea, remember to make a wish." He said.

Deeply sighing to herself Albany turned her attention towards the candles, she wasn't in the mood for cakes and birthday wishes. But the ghouls had worked hard on the cake, the flowers she had been given were delightful. Getting up from her seat she leaned over the cake, she paused for a moment before she blew out the table candle. An airy laugh escaped her lips when she heard her Father and his ghoul applauding her, but her smile soon faded when the scent of smoke drifted beneath her nose. The scent was familiar, she recalled her last birthday celebrations in Los Angeles. The dark spire, chocolate cake and coffee. Thick blankets and two bean bag chairs, the bright lights of the city. The warmth of Copia's arms wrapped around her, the scent of his cologne. She had fallen asleep in his arms that night, she had been so happy within his company.