The Last Day In Paradise

Chapter Eight!

The Last Day In Paradise

August 2000 - Positano, Italy

The sun was shining brightly, the odd cloud painted the blue summer sky. The waves of the ocean could be heard from the Clergy Villa, the cries of a flock of seagulls could be heard while they flew overhead. It was peaceful this morning, the day was still young. It was another beautiful day in Positano, but today was the last day of the vacation. The two weeks had passed by quickly, the Emeritus family would be parting ways tomorrow. 

Albany planned on spending her morning at the villa, she wanted to relax and have one last day by the pool before she returned to the Italian Ministry. She had already taken her morning swim, but now she was having her breakfast outside. She was still dressed in her swimsuit, there was a towel wrapped around her waist. Her damp hair hung freely around her shoulders, she wore no shoes. Taking a sip of her coffee she turned a page in the local newspaper she was reading, she had collected it from the doorstep this morning for her Father. Her family were still inside the villa eating  their breakfast, they were discussing plans for their final evening together. The chair moving next to her caught her attention, her gaze was greeted by a familiar face. It was Secondo, he sat down next to her at the table and drank some of coffee from her cup. There was a single red rose in his hand, but he soon held the rose towards her. She eyed the flower up curiously while she rested her chin on her hand, she was unsure why he was offering her a rose. She was beginning to wonder if her was after something, he had already asked her about making pancakes for breakfast in the morning for their goodbye meal.

" What's this?" She asked.

" It's a red rose." He replied.

" I can see that, Brother." She said before she rolled her eyes at him. " Where did you get it from?"

" I found it on the doorstep, the note said it was for you. There is also a bar of chocolate with it, it's Venchi." He replied, he pulled it from behind his back. " It's half eaten, but that is down to me. I got peckish..."

" Oh well, I guess we will find out if the chocolate bar is poisoned then." She said.

" Sometimes I dislike you, Sister." He said in an amused tone. " Just sometimes, not always."

" I know, I know." She said.

Albany smiled at Secondo before she took the rose and the chocolate bar from his hands, she placed the chocolate bar between them on the table. The note was attached to the roses leafy stem, she smelt the flower before she read the card. She immediately recognised the handwriting, it was from Copia. The word goodbye was written upon it. His sweet gesture brought a smile to her features, she was surprised that the rose wasn't wilted like the bouquets he use to give her back at the Los Angeles Ministry. She was unsure how long Copia was vacationing for in Positano, but the memories of their short time together were pleasurable and fun. She was happy that she had spoken with him one final time, but it didn't stop her from missing him. Her attention was soon caught by footsteps on the balcony's decking, she watched her Father walk passed the table. He sat down on a lounger and removed his shoe, but he soon looked over his shoulder at his children. His gaze was curious, his voice broke the silence between them.

" What's going on here?" Papa asked.

" It seems like our little Albany has an admirer, it's a holiday romance in making." Secondo replied, he helped himself to more of the chocolate bar. " She is now a chased woman, it's rather sweet. This unknown gentleman caller does have good taste in chocolate, I will give him points for the confectionery."

" Secondo..." Albany sighed.

" Oh, what's this now?" Papa asked.

" A single red rose and a bar of chocolate, the tools of wooing." Secondo said before he popped a piece of chocolate into his mouth. " I haven't tried this wooing technique myself, but I know it well enough. We will have to keep a close eye on Albany today, she may sneak away for a rendezvous."

" Stop it..." Albany said.

" Does it say who they are from?" Papa asked.

" No, Papa." Albany replied.

" Then I guess I can take a nap in peace without scheduling a murder." Papa said before he lay down on the lounger. " Albany, will you wake me up at lunch time? I don't want to sleep the day away."

" Of course, Papa." Albany replied.

" Thank you." Papa replied.

Albany's gaze remained on her Father, his words were sinister. She remembered what he had told her years ago when she told him about her past relationship, he would make them disappear. She was grateful Copia hadn't been seen, he had been foolish but sweet by delivering such a lovely gesture. Placing the rose down on the table Albany drank more of her coffee and ate the last of her strawberry pastry, she planned to take a shower after breakfast. She glanced at Secondo when he helped himself to more of the chocolate bar, he then drank the rest of her coffee. He told her he was going to take a big dump before he got up from his seat, she even swore she had heard her Father chuckle at his vulgar sentence. Albany's nose scrunched up at her Brother's unwanted information, she didn't need to know about his bowel movements over breakfast. Secondo walked across the balcony and entered the villa, the silence of the day soon returned.

Albany's gaze returned to the rose Copia had delivered to the Clergy villa, she took it from the table and leaned back against her chair. Her finger tips touched the delicate petals, the scent of the rose was divine. He had already gifted her with silver chained bracelet with blue stones, she had found it in her handbag last night with a note. Copia had brought the present for Albany over two years ago, he wanted her to have it. And now a beautiful red rose, but she was disappointed that Secondo had eaten most of the chocolate bar since it was her favourite. She smiled to herself while she got up from her seat, it was the perfect present to end her vacation in Positano.