Can I Stay With You?

Chapter Two!

Can I Stay With You?

June 1998- The Italian Ministry

Albany walked down one of the many hallways of the Italian Ministry, it was late afternoon. The scent of incense sticks lingered in the hallways, she could hear the sweet voices of the Sister's of Sin singing in the chapel for their dark excellency. It was comforting and homely, she had forgotten how peaceful it was at this Ministry. The atmosphere was different at this unholy church than in Los Angeles, it was less busy and more calmer. 

Turning into another hallway Albany's gazed remained on the tiled floor, she had been staying with her Father for over two months now. She had finally made a decision about her future in Los Angeles, it had been one of the most difficult decisions she ever had to make. Through tears and sleepless nights she had decided she was going to remain in Italy. She couldn't return to her clerk position, not after what Copia had done. She feared he may do it again if the chance ever arisen, it was for her own safety. She felt guilty about leaving him without even an explanation, the radio silence between them would break his heart after he spoke about wanting a future with her when she returned to Los Angeles. She felt dreadful about her decision, but she had to do this for herself. Her Father's advice had swayed her decision, he had been right for once.

Albany kept on walking, she was on her way to her Father's office. He was working until late, but she wanted to tell him about her decision before they had dinner together this evening. Stopping outside of his office she knocked on the door twice, she soon heard his voice telling her to enter. She opened the door and walked into the room, she could see her Father sitting at his desk. He was going through his paperwork and typing away on his beloved typewriter, his workload was never ending. She watched him from the doorway, he was too engrossed in his paperwork to even acknowledge her presence. Clearing her throat she closed the door behind her, their gaze met for a couple of seconds before he turned his attention back to his typewriter. The clicking sound of the keys disturbed the silence of the room, but she decided to get his attention by speaking to him.

" Good afternoon, Papa." She said.

" Good afternoon." He said.

" I would like to speak with you if it's possible, it's kind of important." She said.

" Of course, little one." He said, he motioned for her to take a seat at his desk. " Take a seat, I will be with you shortly. I just need to finish the chapel expenses."

" Okay." She said.

Cupping her hands together she approached his desk, she sat across from him. Her gaze wandered around his office, the room never changed. The books on the selves remained in the same order, the curtains and the armchair looked like they could do with sprucing up. The bottle of whiskey her Father thought was perfectly hidden was still behind a his potted plant. Albany turned her attention back towards her Father, she watched him pull a sheet of paper from his typewriter. He signed it and placed it in a folder, he then closed it. Their gaze met, his attention now belonged to her alone. His hands coming together he smiled at his youngest child, his voice soon broke the silence between them.

" Now then, what can I do for you?" He asked.

" I wanted to ask you something." She said.

" And what would that be?" He asked.

" I was wondering if I could I stay with you?" She asked.

" You want to extend your visit again?" He asked.

" No, I would like to stay permanently if that's possible." She replied, her gaze remained on him. " I've made a decision about my future, I can't return to Los Angeles. Not now, not after everything that's happened there. It will never be the same for me again, the memories of my accident still haunts me. The accident as affected me more than I first realised, if I returned to the Ministry I believe I may have a relapse. I have thought things through long and hard, this is my decision. I want to stay with you, Papa."